Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need soldering iron recommendation

Need soldering iron recommendation

I need to get a soldering iron for electronics. To build a drone racer, I need something to solder wires to circuit boards and maybe solder wires together. I have read that something in the 20 to 40 watt range is good. What is something decent without breaking the bank?

Thanks
    Sometimes decisions from the heart are better than decisions from the brain.

Enjoy Life...

If you have an electronics store (like Fry's in this area) you can get a wide selection of soldering irons. It's not a high tech item so almost any will do - unless you have some special requirements. I have a couple of irons, and I think they're about 25 watts. A few times I had some project where I wished for a larger one but not enough to go buy one.

There are some that get hot immediately but the cheaper ones take a while to heat up and then stay hot as long as you have them plugged in.

I don't remember how much I paid for the last one I bought but I think it was about $20.

The first one I bought - which I still have and it still works - was in about 1960.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 06-26-2016 at 8:08 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Just shop ebay. I still use one from building Heathkits a long time ago. It's nice to have one with a stand. Today, I'd go higher tech and spend 30 bucks on one with a control and LED display.

get a station and not a pen. even if it is one of the cheaper weller or non-hakko's though, the hakko's are worth it and will last a life time.

I work as an Electrical Assembler and this Weller unit is the standard used in shops.
    https://www.amazon.com/Weller-WES51-...dering+station

We have one worker that just makes cables all day long and her station is on all day everyday. A workhorse.

I happened to luck out when an electronics store was just going trough their problems. I was looking for a soldering station and noticed on the web they listed one reg $129 for $15. Next day after work I ran down to the local store and one was on the shelf with no price, I asked the clerk to scan it. Came up something like $12. I said sold. Could tell the clerk was a little upset he did not know it was so cheap.
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 06-26-2016 at 10:04 PM.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Mine is a Weller similar to that from the early 1970's. It still works like it did when it was new.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    I work as an Electrical Assembler and this Weller unit is the standard used in shops.
    https://www.amazon.com/Weller-WES51-...dering+station
    That is the exact model I use for all my electronics work. I still have two older Weller industrial soldering irons that still work great (I reserve one of the older ones for welding plastic) but this one is my new favorite.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BRC2XU/

soldering_iron.jpg

BTW, I use it with this:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005C789EU

soldering_iron_cleaner.jpg

JKJ

I worked in a high volume electronics manufacturing plant and they had literally hundreds of the soldering station in operation, mostly for repair operations. I don't recall ever seeing a broken one and most of them were turned on at 6:00 in the morning, used continuously all day and then turned off at about 3:30. If I needed one today, that is what I would buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    Plus 1 on the Hakko. Well worth it.

I use a Stahl like this one Have had it for over 10 years

http://www.parts-express.com/stahl-t...m_campaign=pla

Blog Entries
    I'm not an electronics guy but when I was in the market, a friend helped me select the Weller WESD51 which is a basic digital one. His rationale was that some components are sensitive to overheating so it's a good idea to control the temperature pretty carefully. Don't use more heat than you need. It's worked really well for a long time.

https://www.amazon.com/Weller-Digital-Soldering-Additional-Screwdriver/dp/B00NQAVLE0/ref=sr_1_7?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1467044272&sr=1-7&refinements=p_89%3AWeller

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Fries View Post
    I need to get a soldering iron for electronics
    It's worth mentioning that one of the practical problems in soldering electronics is to keep the tip of the soldering iron clean. And a more basic practical problem if you buy a "pen" vs a "station" is where you are going to set the soldering iron down without melting something or accidentally burning yourself. So when you consider your setup, keep those problems in mind.

Some soldering stations have a container to keep a damp sponge to clean the tip. Some people prefer to clean the tip when the tip is cold.

+ 1 on the Weller WES-51.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

I do alot of RC racing, I'd second any vote for a station, Hako is very good. I'd also recommend getting one with a heat gun option. You will find yourself using more heat shrink than before.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.