Thread: Workshop Update, and a few pics!

Workshop Update, and a few pics!

I just now figured out how to resize pics from my phone to upload. Before, I had to crop them almost to nothing so they would load.
    If you hadn't seen previously, up until now my power in the shop has been an extension cord from the back patio into the building. Additionally, lighting was just three 2-bulb fluorescent lights.
    It's been up nearly a year, and so far I've basically just put stuff in it...ugh.
    I've made just a few little things on my shopsmith or craftsman table saw, but with just the cord for power, it's not too great for motors so I've kept it to a minimum.
    Anyway, now my electricity is complete to the sub-panel in the shop. I have temporarily wired in six, 4-T8 bulb fixtures so far. I put them in a two rows of three configuration. The light is super, compared to what I have been used to in any of my previous work areas at home. I also put one T12 four bulb fixture at the other end of the shop. I think I will get four more T8 fixtures, and continue the same mounting pattern end to end. Then the T12 fixture can go over the workbench in our attached garage. Once I have been in there working for awhile, I can tell if the lighting is in the right place, or if I need more. Once I'm satisfied with it, it will get wired permanently.
    I spent most of this weekend moving things around and organizing a bit. Yes, still more to do, and I don't do hurry up!
    We went to Menards today and got $200 worth of lumber!
    Two sheets of marine grade plywood, a dozen 2x2x8's, and 14 1x 6 x 14 pine boards. Two projects. Board and Batten shutters for 5 windows, and box in three round front porch columns.
    After work tomorrow I have to finish making room to crosscut those 14ft long boards at the RAS and get busy!
    Let the fun begin!
    Attached Images Attached Images

It looks great Marion. I love the floor.
    Mark McFarlane

Quote Originally Posted by mark mcfarlane View Post
    It looks great Marion. I love the floor.
    My first reaction, too! I'm very jealous of that nice wood floor...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Looking good my man. If you are thinking about it, but want to put it off, don't. I'm talking about insulation in those walls. I waited several years before finally installing wall insulation, and it was a pain in the tush. Having to remove all the wall cabinets, racks, and moving stuff out of the way to do so was not a lot of fun. It will make a big difference come winter and heating season.

Yes, still more to do, and I don't do hurry up!
    Just like my motto - you can't do everything the same day! I don't get in a hurry, and I'm retired and don't go to work every day. I started putting up my shop about 3 years ago, have been using it the last two and a half, and might get it done in a year or five.

I too love the wood floor. I planned to put wood over concrete in mine but never got to it. I have a huge amount of cherry in the barn that I thought would be nice for a floor.

JKJ

Thanks guys! I cleared a spot along the other wall of the shop to crosscut the 14' long boards for our window shutter project with the RAS. Two portable rollers on the infeed side, a redneck fixed stock stop on the outfeed side. Got them all cut in about a half hour! Tomorrow after work I'll set up to cut the Battens. Then I think I'll make a lil fixture out of stuff on hand for gluing and nail up. There's lots more shop set up to do, but the house painters will be here in days, and these need to be ready! Having more fun than I should right now😉

Definitely insulate. My shop is not heated or cooled but it is insulated. It is OK most of the time. I often get a decent breeze by opening the garage door and access door. Insulation adds little cost and doesn't take long. For walls I like skim coated and painted waferboard. Cheap, sturdy and I can hang tools anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dwight View Post
    Definitely insulate.
    I think every cent spent on insulation is paid back in $$ and comfort! I built my shop with 2x6 walls for several reasons including structure and space for insulation and added 1-1/2" of sheathing/siding/ply to that. With a small heat pump the shop is comfortable year around here in TN, even on 90 deg+ summer days. Industrial insulated garage doors in the bay area and insulated standard doors plus double pane windows help too. Insulating would help with the sound if you have neighbors. JKJ

Looking good!!! good work...
    Jerry

I had a shop that was, one stall of a three car garage, and the floor was sloped so I built up a plywood floor using 2x4's ripped to correct the slope. Worked well for me. I then sold that house and moved to where I am now and this shop has a concrete floor (level) it has a glued down carpet that is good shape so I just laid the plywood from the old shop on it and nailed it down in a few places. It works well for me, unfinished. A little flex in it but supports all my equipment well.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214