Thread: Help identifying piece of wood

Blog Entries

Help identifying piece of wood

What kind of wood is this?
    I only have one piece and cannot remember where I got it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bill, I'm assuming that you harvested this locally. It would probably be helpful if you listed your approximate location as some species only grow in limited areas. Unfortunately, I don't have the skills to venture a guess. But there are a bunch of smarter people who may -- especially if you mention the area where you got it.

Yes, and also a picture that shows the grain on the end would be good.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

It could be several types of trees from the bark, from willow to locust. Need to see the wood, and or be an arborist. Leaves help if you have any. Seed pods or propeller type things.

robo hippy

Where did the wood come from? What color is the wood? Can we have a few more photos? Is the wood heavy by weight? Does it have a smell to it? etc, etc, Help us help you Thanks. If I had to guess it wood be locust.

Like Bill, I say it could be Black Locust, or some Acacia
    Last edited by Leo Van Der Loo; 06-25-2016 at 12:01 AM.
    Have fun and take care

Blog Entries
    Guys, (and gals), I realize that I have been rude to some of you, particularly with regard to this thread. I apologize. Many personal things have recently hit me all at once and I've put turning on the back burner for now.

I do have a request, though, if I'm still in good standing here.
    My son has been in the lazer install and maintanance for over 20 years. Since I see a lot of posts on here regarding lazers, I told him I would find out what I can about how they are used in woodworking and perhaps other areas.
    For over 20 years he has had his own company and would very much like to create something more related to smaller lazers. He and I are familiar with cnc and his oldest daughter has access to a basic cad program .
    Can any of you point us in the direction of the kind of lazers you talk about here?
    As it is now he spends pretty much all of his time repairing/installing industrial lazers or on the road, as he has customers throught the eastern US and at times beyond. I would greatly appreciate any ideas you can offer. Thank you. Bill