Thread: What Tools are Needed to Make Segmented Ring Tubes

What Tools are Needed to Make Segmented Ring Tubes

Hello,

This is my first post here, but I have been doing forms of woodworking for several years now. I was looking at Malcolm Tibbetts' website, and I noticed he has several projects that look like long tubes of conjoined rings, like this one here: http://www.tahoeturner.com/gallery/100.html. It is clear to me that the rings are assembled, sanded, turned on a lathe, but then I am wondering what tool I would need to angle the whole ring so that if I could create curves by glueing several rings together, something like slide 40 in this PowerPoint: http://www.chicagowoodturners.com/De...mentedTips.pdf. I know eventually I will need a drum sander, but for now, is there any other tool I could use to achieve the same angling effect as shown in the Chicago Woodturners PowerPoint I linked?

As a side note, does anyone know if Malcolm Tibbetts' book includes any instructions on how to make something like what I derailed above?

Thank you,

John

Edited to add: I just realized that some people might not be sure what slide 40 is in the PowerPoint I linked, it is near the bottom and is titled "Angle the Rings", and shows a drum sander with rings being put in it.
    Last edited by John Vorberger; 06-21-2016 at 9:26 AM. Reason: Clarify

For this type of project, besides the basic turning set up, a drum sander is a must. I don't have one so I glue sandpaper on a piece of plywood and flatten that way. Doing that piece by hand is be there for a month of Sunday's.
    Don

drum sander with a jig to run the segmented pieces thru the sander at an angle...a lathe big enough to handle your design
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Ok, so it looks like I will need a drum sander. My lathe should work for what I want, because most of the rings will be under 4 inches in diameter and they are not going to be turned on a lathe once they are assembled because the final project is not circular. Does anyone have any suggestions for a (relative to exotic woods like mahogany) low cost dark and light wood? I was thinking walnut and maple for my project.

Soft maple is fairly inexpensive and can have some nice looking grain patterns.
    Don