Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Leaning toward Hurricane wood turning tools but skeptical

I have mostly Hurricane bowl gouges as well as three hurricane chucks. I like the hurricane chucks as well or better than any others I have used (Vic Mark, Nova), I find that my gouges hold an edge "good enough" and at the price point that is half to a third that of name brands, works for me. Plus, in my experience the sales support and so forth are first rate. If I were a production turner, or time was so limited that trips to the grinder were taking away from my fun, I would feel differently perhaps.

I haven't used any tools that are not V 10 (Thompson) or M42HSS (D Way) for years. Recently tried a standard M2HSS and couldn't understand why it was getting dull so quickly. If you can afford them, the difference is like the difference between standard grinding wheels, and CBN wheels. You pay more, but you get way more for your money. Only other difference is flute shapes...
    robo hippy

Checking for hardness

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Craven View Post
    ...How do you check hardness on a tool?
    Aaron,

I didn't read every word of this thread, but did you ever get your question answered about how to test the hardness of a tool?

In case not, this is how I do it: Take a file (I use a fairly fine triangular file) and try to file across the tool shaft. Start near the working end, maybe an inch back and work your way towards the handle. If the steel is hardened properly, the file will skate across the metal and not cut a groove. Where the tool is not hardened the file will easily cut a groove.

I have a box of mostly cheap tools I acquired for free or at a low price, mostly to loan or give to beginners. I checked a bunch of them once and more than I imagined were hardened only a inch or two from the sharpened end. This is fine, of course, if you never grind away the hardened end! Some of the cheap tools (and all of the better tools) are hardened down the entire shaft.

JKJ

I have a hurricane gouge that I often use for finish cuts since I don't mind sharpening it frequently. Maybe it's just me, and certainly not everyone agrees, but I think M2 makes a better finish cut than the fancy cpm steels. It might just be that the general profile of the tool is slimmer; I don't know. At any rate the hurricane is a very nice gouge for the price.

Quote Originally Posted by dave hulett View Post
    ... After all the primary difference is the type of steel which simply determines how often you sharpen it. ...
    I beg to differ. There is more difference than just the frequency of sharpening - which is largely determined by wear resistance which in turn is determined mainly by the chemical composition of the steel (Vanadium in Doug's V11 or Cobalt in Dave's M42). The hardening/tempering process affects the quality of the edge that can be achieved, and that is possible more important. Carbon steel will take a sharper edge (just will not hold it) than HHS and IMHO, crucible steels will too. Ask people who have owned both and use CBN or Diamond wheels to sharpen.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

I like crown cryo tools. They hold an edge like nothing else and you can get them very sharp on a tormek. It's hard to compare low cost HSS offerings as they all seem to be made from Chinese steel, which is his or miss. I have not tried hurricane but since they have a good following with lots of turners buying them; they must be pretty good?
    Where did I put those band aids?

Dueane,
    This thread is over 3 years old and the most recent post was over 2 years ago.
    Licensed Professional Engineer,
    Unlicensed Semi Professional Tinkerer