Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Here's an interesting business model...

Here's an interesting business model...

...sort of an etsy for laser-cut and engraved SS metal: http://lasergist.com/discover/

No affiliation, just stumbled across it and thought it might be of interest.

Interesting-- but their web page designer needs a lesson in not using 10% gray text on a white background.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    Interesting-- but their web page designer needs a lesson in not using 10% gray text on a white background.
    Maybe you need a new monitor - their site looks great on mine!
    Epilog Legend 32EX 60W

Precision Prototypes, Romsey, UK

Seriously? those boxes and 'millimeters' below the numbers are dark enough? If I change the angle of my monitor they're a little easier to see, but as I'm looking at it right now, I can barely tell there's even words there at all... and they're a wee bit small too, even for this 25" monitor!

FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

I agree with Kev their site is awe full and basically no info here
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

"So, first things first: Close your Paths Never, ever leave a path open. The laser won’t figure out how to close the path and cut accordingly."

I don't know about anyone else here but I very often work with open paths. I strategically place end nodes on lines and curves. Otherwise overlapping cuts are required. Think of a tic-tac-toe grid enclosed in a square.
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

I agree Doug... "Never, ever leave a path open"...? Never, EVER?

That statement reminds me of a similar one read recently, on some website to do with ULS lasers, went something like "Never change the tuning bar setting in the driver, it's not necessary, and the belt never stretches anyway"...

Both statements scream 'inexperience' to me... 'I've had my laser a whole year now and I know everything there is to know about 'em!'...

I've had lasers for 16 years and while I've learned a lot, I'm sure I know a lot more squat! ...just YESTERDAY on my 12 year old LS900, I finally figured out that the 'jackrabbit' actually DOES speed the machine up! (in certain situations)
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

Biggest problem with the website? Essentially no pictures of example finished products. Seriously?

I twiddled around with some numbers to see rough costs...turns out to be cheaper than I expected. One oddity is a minimum width is 50mm. They may just have a minimum piece size they're willing to cut from the roll and/or don't want to deal a lot of small leftover scraps, but I was thinking of some long skinny things like clock hands. Oops.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Griffith View Post
    "So, first things first: Close your Paths Never, ever leave a path open. The laser won’t figure out how to close the path and cut accordingly."

I don't know about anyone else here but I very often work with open paths. I strategically place end nodes on lines and curves. Otherwise overlapping cuts are required. Think of a tic-tac-toe grid enclosed in a square.
    <scratches head> Ok, I'm thinking of a tic-tac-toe grid enclosed in a square, vector-cut. Were you intending to end up with nine separate pieces?
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.

Blog Entries
    Did you know their lasers travel 2 million km every year? Wow. I feel pretty colloquial now!

It is interesting. Other than their banner image there truly is nothing to look at. I didnt find the light gray lettering unreadable, but it wasn't till my second pass over the site that I realized there was more shown in those boxes.

I am curious. What search were you doing that turned them up? I certainly would not have dug very deeply into their page based on what I see if I were not specifically looking for this company and knew what it offered.

Curious. Perhaps they dont count on the web for most of their contacts?
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    Biggest problem with the website? Essentially no pictures of example finished products. Seriously?
    I just found a forum where one of the guys behind this is answering questions and of course several people had the very same comment. He replied, "Great idea, we should have a gallery page implemented very soon." However, that post was dated "193 days ago", so don't hold your breath.

The operation is based in Europe somewhere. Shipping is free world-wide, but he's talking a week of shipping time to get something to the east coast.
    Last edited by Lee DeRaud; 06-17-2016 at 8:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    <scratches head> Ok, I'm thinking of a tic-tac-toe grid enclosed in a square, vector-cut. Were you intending to end up with nine separate pieces?
    Yep. It was an easy example to give. Most of what I vector cut shares common edges. I set files up that way to speed things up.
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Griffith View Post
    Yep. It was an easy example to give. Most of what I vector cut shares common edges. I set files up that way to speed things up.
    Ah, got it. I suspect that, if whatever software they're using to drive their laser(s) is smart enough to detect open shapes, it's smart enough to eliminate overlapping lines.

I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by David Somers View Post
    Did you know their lasers travel 2 million km every year? Wow. I feel pretty colloquial now!
    umm...

someone correct my math if I'm wrong...

as per raster speed running non-stop 24/7:

100" per second average raster speed = 393.7 mm per second--

393.7mm x 60 seconds = 23,622 mm per minute, /1000 = 23.622 meters per minute--

23.622 meters x 60 minutes = 1,417.32 meters per hour, /1000 = 1.41732 kilometers per hour--

1.41732 kilometers x 24 hours = 34.01568 kilometers per day-

34.01568 kilometers x 365 days = 21,599.9568 kilometers per year...

We're missing 2 zero's methinks, or they gots some really really fast lasers! (or some other method of measuring beam travel)
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

Maybe they have 100 lasers? That would give them 2.15 million kilometers per year!