Thread: Slanted Headboard Angle?

Question Slanted Headboard Angle?

I'm designing a headboard for the platform bed I recently built (had to put the bed in service the last two weeks), and intend to make it slanted for reading and such. I have been unable to find anything on the web thus far (modest search so far) regarding either the appropriate angles or the appropriate height of such a headboard. Any input would be greatly appreciated. The bed itself is based on the Staked Bed in Anarchist's Design Book
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

I don't think there is a standard angle. After all, most headboards are vertical, and people are okay with piling pillows until they get what they like. As for height...well, tall enough to contain that pile of pillows...

Lots of options... You may want to look at some of the variable angle foam sleeping wedges that people use on their beds, as well as any specs you can find on hospital beds or the newer generation of adjustable motorized beds and mattresses offered by folks like Tempurpedic et al.

K

I doubt you are going to find any standard like that. I suspect you will need to mock up something and try it out, adjusting it until you feel what is best for you.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Your thinking is keen on this, I believe, John. I made a cushion headboard with this purpose in mind but I wasn't forward-thinking about it as you are. I made mine vertical and, while it works fine with a lumbar pillow, a future project will be to modify it to slant a little. When you decide on the angle you'll use I'd appreciate it if you'd report what angle you chose and how it fares in use.

I remember coming across a few scattered examples similar to the image below of what you might be looking for when I was researching info for the platform bed I built last year. This one below (found here: http://www.zfurniture.com/tabedhe.html) mentions a height of approximately 37 inches, but doesn't say anything about the angle. It looks to be about 10 to 15 degrees, but it's hard to tell.

tatami-bed-headboard-11.png

+1 on mockup. This is why we build things for ourselves, so they fit our needs and wants rather than those of others. Another variable is the depth of the mattress, it will affect the overall height of the backrest and could impact the angle. Deeper mattress, wider gap between the top of the mattress and the backrest.

On the platform bed I made a few months back I made it so the headboard can pivot to a different angle. The angle depends on how far from the wall the bed is - not too sophisticated. Some day I'll bother to work out how to secure it where I want it.

The "design angle" back of a sofa is about15°. This angle applied to head boards has served my customers well for more than 15 years.

I built a headboard with an angled face. The tricky thing for me was how to handle the doors that are on that slanted face - the solution was to have them hinged at the bottom.End view-x.jpgFinished-s.jpg
    Johanna
    Placitas, New Mexico

My parents had one made around 1950. It had sliding doors at each end with a open shelf in the middle section.

You could make a flat headboard, then apply two fold out panels .One one each side . No way that could look as bad as
    the beds I see for sale in our news paper.