Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CBN Wheel -- 1 or 2?

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    At a higher grit like 600- 1000, I do agree it would be power honing basically......might be good for a skew, but I wonder about their benefits for most turners. Perhaps a highly skilled production turner might be able to realize benefits in their work, but the utility for the majority of turners might be questionable. ...
    For me, the finer grits really make a difference on smaller things with hard woods such as some exotics. The smoother the edge, the smoother the cut. If I sharpen a spindle gouge or skew at 600 I get a better surface on the wood than if sharpened at 220. Depending on my tool control that day a small spindle of cocobolo, dogwood, or ebony I might only use 800 paper or so.

I got used to polishing the cutting edge of my spindle gouges on the Tormek water wheel - a razor-sharp mirrored edge is a dream to use, just like with carving tools. Bigger things with coarser wood: the grinding grit doesn't make much difference.

I put a 600 grit CBN on the Tormek and while I like it, it doesn't give me the edge I got with the water wheel. I may try the 1000 grit.

JKJ

2. Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    For me, the finer grits really make a difference on smaller things with hard woods such as some exotics. The smoother the edge, the smoother the cut. If I sharpen a spindle gouge or skew at 600 I get a better surface on the wood than if sharpened at 220. Depending on my tool control that day a small spindle of cocobolo, dogwood, or ebony I might only use 800 paper or so.

I got used to polishing the cutting edge of my spindle gouges on the Tormek water wheel - a razor-sharp mirrored edge is a dream to use, just like with carving tools. Bigger things with coarser wood: the grinding grit doesn't make much difference.

I put a 600 grit CBN on the Tormek and while I like it, it doesn't give me the edge I got with the water wheel. I may try the 1000 grit.

JKJ
    John, I would agree with dense woods like exotics that a polished edge would make a better cut than without a polished edge. My frame of reference in my comment was basically turning bowls, but you certainly make a valid and a good point here. Especially with the skew, detail gouges and working spindles out of exotics which are dense. Finials are a classic example of this.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Thanks so much for all of the information! I'm ordering one 180 grit wheel soon, and got some good ideas from your posts. Feel good about the decision -- the reason it was important is that the price for 2 is $50 of buying them individually, but I think it'll be easy to live with just one.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Goetzke View Post
    Mine are 180 grit radius & 350 grit 4-in-1. Like Peter I have Robo jig on the 180 side and Wolverine on the 350 (they are fairly simple to swap). I really like the Robo jig for sharpening my fixed angle tools.

Mike

I have the exact setup. Work well for me.

CBN wheels.jpg

All the Best
    Curt

Cel-a-brate, Cel-a-brate, Dance to the Mu-zic!

Oh joyful day. As I was filling out the online info to order the 180 grit CBN "birthday wheel" from Ken Rizza, Stevie Ray Vaughan's "Pride and Joy" was kickin' out from the boom-box. Almost started dancing! Next week, I'll be in sharpening heaven, methinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis Myers View Post
    I have the exact setup. Work well for me.

CBN wheels.jpg

All the Best
    Curt
    Yep, I'd like to get the Robo Rest some day. Have liked it since the first time I saw it in one of Schweitzer's videos -- "This guy down in Oregon sent me this...."

I do miss SRV.... Love Lenny, and his version of Little Wing, and others..... Dance to the Music... 3 Dog Night? Yup, went and looked it up, some times the memory cells do function... Now back to practicing Little Wing..... Been working on Lenny for 5 or 6 years... Freddie King is a little bit easier... Jeff Beck, not even in my dreams...

robo hippy
    Last edited by Reed Gray; 06-17-2016 at 1:14 AM.

Jeff Beck Constipated Duck........

I always thought there should be a compilation album of everyone's version of Little Wing. That would be cool.

SRV tribute band

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    I do miss SRV....
    A good friend of mine near San Diego put together a Stevie Ray Vaughn tribute band, has been performing 15 years or more. Alan is quite serious about this - he even traveled to Texas, I think, to have a hat made by Stevie's hat maker! I did a pr photo shoot for him once at a concert. It was loud.

http://www.alaniglesias-and-crossfire.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQ75FU-LWbo

JKJ

One of my most favorite versions of Little Wing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhsacepElvA

These girls.... Sigh!

robo hippy