Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How is the grizzly g0766 holding up?

How is the grizzly g0766 holding up?

I have been looking for a new lathe and this one seems to be gaining in popularity. All the reviews and comments I see are from before the banjo had been updated and would like to hear what some opinions are with the current crop of them please. I would love to get a pm3520a but I have a hard time spending $4000 on it, nothing against it just hard to spend that for one. Also looked at the revo 1836 but considering its about $700 more even now at $2250 on sale over the grizzly for 4" less swing is also hard to justify. I really like what the higher end lathes offer I just have a hard time spending that when it may sit in the corner for a month and then get used for a week. If I made money with it I would spend it, but turning is my relaxing time in woodworking. I make my living building cabinets, which was more fun as a hobby than a career. I have a JWL 1236 from when they were the blue color, and would like to upgrade to something more suited to green wood turning. What I want is to able to chuck up a piece of wood without having the lathe want to walk from having to spin at 600 rpm when I rough it out, doesnt have to be out of round much for that to happen. So whats the opinion, is the grizzly 0766 a solid machine? Thank you in advance.

2. My G0766 is doing great. I like its power, performance and features. The extras like the cage and comparator arms are part of what adds to the cost of more expensive lathes, but you don't necessarily get a better lathe. While the original banjo was a bit small, Grizzly remedied that with a new one, and there is probably not a better value on the market for a large lathe.

That does not mean that the other Asian models from Laguna, Powermatic, etc are not also good lathes....you will pay much more, but the Grizz is a fine performer. Any lathe make can experience problems, and I have heard of everything from motor/inverter replacements, switches going bad, and other issues, on the more popular brands. Grizzly tech support is good, and they stand behind their product if you need parts & support, but you will have to do the service work with their tech person walking you through any repairs should you ever need them.

For the savings, value and quality I have gotten, that is a deal I accept.....may not be the deal every turner wants to accept, as Powermatic for example, will send a service person out to you while the unit is under warranty, from what I have heard.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Many of the early problems and deficiencies in the G0766 have been corrected. So if you buy new you should be okay. You may need/want to drill out the banjo to 1" and file down the spindle shoulder. The lathe represents a lot of value for the cost.

My only two remaining issues are the spindle (undersized threads and short/stubby profile) and the speed potentiometer appears to be failing. On the first issue, Griz is supposedly in the process to fix it. On the last issue, I've replaced the post about eight months ago with a Griz replacement part. When I replace the second one, I'm going to buy a better quality potentiometer (it is a relatively inexpensive part).

I like the power, variable speed, reversing feature and the cost.

I have nothing to compare it to as this is my first lathe and have only had it for about a few weeks, but I am glad I got the 0766. I did a lot of research on line since I live in an area where I am not able to see/use lathes. This was highly recommended and I am very happy with it.

I have had mine since last September and have had no problems with it. I agree with all the previous statements. I would never be able to afford a PM or Robust and for my use, this lathe does for me what either of those would.

My G0766 is great! Plenty of power, nice variable speed and more than enough swing and length of bed. I have had No problems with mine and it continues to be a superb lathe for the money.
    I may not have it all together, but together we have it all.

I've had mine for a little over a year and have been very pleased. As mentioned, lots of power, easy to buy accessories for and has done all I've asked it to do. I did replace the speed control pot last week but it was straight forward and a relatively cheap and easy repair. I'm using he original banjo (not the one Grizzly sent out as a replacement) with Robust tool rests. If I was in the market I'd buy another and definitely recommend it.

Thank you for all the help and information. I was hoping this lathe was holding up well. I will be joining the green monster group shortly. Just need to find that 10% coupon I have read about, the lathe is in my cart right now.

I can recommend it. Mine has performed as well as I can expect, and then some. Just wish I had more time to play on it. I've turn maybe 20 different medium sized bowls and a 13" platter, and many smaller items, and it performs excellently. Great value for the price, and yes, the Customer Service is very good. One fellow I had come over was thoroughly pleased with mine, ordered one for himself, and had to return it almost immediately because of electrical issues. Que sera.
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

I am glade you have settled on a lathe. I have owned a lot of Grizzly products in years past and can say they are a great company. Wonderful customer service and you can't beat the price. I, like you, was in the market to upgrade my lathe. Really want to get into green bowls and I didn't think my Nova 1644 was up to the task. After spending weeks reading every review on the G0766 and the Laguna Revo 1836. My wife and I even drove 91 miles to a Woodcraft store in Eugene, OR to see the Laguna first hand.

It was one of the hardest choices I have had to make. After careful consideration I ended up with the Laguna. I know it does not weigh as much, has less HP and costs more. So why you ask would I spring for the Laguna? I am sure the Grizzly is a fine machine and all but was put off with some of the reports on the spindle and banjo. On the other side the fit and finish on the Laguna is outstanding. I could not fine a single thing wrong with the thing. The head and tale stock matched up right on the money. The attrition to detail is truly refreshing. The design feathers are outstanding as well. Who ever designed this lathes knew what he was doing. There is only one thing I don't like about the lathe and that is you can't lock the spindle in place without holding in the red button in. Other that that I love it and am happy I went with the Laguna.

I guess it all boils down to personal preferences. Good luck, I know you will be happy with which ever one you end up with.

Hey Kip, I was about to send you a message about your lathe decision. I remembered reading you were on the same boat as me. I really like the laguna, mostly the fit, finish, and the details. Just like you some of the early reports I read on the grizzly were making me look elsewhere, im hoping they have a good batch of them at the warehouse right now. I haven't ordered yet, just waiting on a 10% coupon since I have a good size order. Have you been able to turn on yours yet?

Yes I have. Did some little spindle work just to get a feel for it. Then I mounted a green blank of oak, about 24 inches across. It worked well so far. It has lots of power to turn that size bowl but I might want to add some sand bags to the base. That or do a better job of mounting the blank a little better. The thing that impresses me the most is how smooth it is. FYI Craft supply is running a 10% off sale on there Laguna and when I brought that info to the attrition of Woodcrafter they gave the the discount as well.

I have had my G0766 right at one year now. Very happy with it so far. It's so nice to be able to turn the RPM way down for rough turning large pieces. I chose to pick mine up at the truck terminal so I could back right up to shop door to off load it in 5 pieces. One helper to help with the 2 heavest parts did the trick.

14. Well, since this thread was reopened after a year from the last round of responses........I think I will give an update after another year of usage on my G0766. I used it today to turn a large piece of walnut to make a natural edge bowl. Got the thing turned and the bark was intact and thick. Ended up losing the bark when power sanding......bummer!

I am currently in the process of making a number of things, as the president of our gallery has offered me an entire display case at the front entrance of the gallery, and I am making things to fill it up here in a couple of weeks. My G0766 is such a great performer. As mentioned, plenty of power, variable speed, smooth and it has renewed my joy every time I turn on the thing. Even though I purchased a Oneway banjo for it back when Grizzly had put the same one as the 18/47 G0733, since I have gotten the upgraded banjo from them, I use it exclusively now. I have gotten several Robust rests for it, and could not be happier with the lathe overall.

After pretty heavy usage, I have not had one issue with my G0766. I have turned very large/heavy blanks on it, and some spindle work as well. I am really a happy camper. I think I was probably one of the first 5 people to get the G0766, so I have had a good bit of turning time on the lathe.
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 06-12-2017 at 9:41 PM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

No problem with my G0766