Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chain saw in the shop - wood holding solutions?

Well less expensive is certainly possible, and at a height you can work at comfortably, that is what I have used for years, both cutting outside with the gas powered chainsaw, or in the shop with the electric chainsaw.

It was as I said earlier, a block of Willow wood, wedges and or 2 long flat screwdrivers hammered into the block on either side of the log (to halve or slab it) or beside the piece to cut the corners off of it.

Here are a couple of pictures, the first one shows where I cut a log into 4 pieces, by not cutting all the way to the bottom, I first made the 3 cuts almost to the bottom and then finished the cuts, the cutting is at a comfortable height, for both lifting the block and to do the sawing, a lower cost than a piece of Willow log to use as the cutting block is hard to do, and that block did last me quite a few years, a new one is easy to get.

Same piece of Willow block used to cut the Beech log pieces and my neighbors Sugar Maple and used on many other pieces of logs .

The way to prevent the long strings of wood to plug up the saw is to cut on a slight angle, either up or down, that way the strings are shorter and eject without a problem

Cutting up logs.jpg Cutting up Beech.jpg Cut up Sugar Maple .jpg
    Last edited by Leo Van Der Loo; 06-13-2016 at 3:22 PM.
    Have fun and take care

Blog Entries

chainsaw stand

I have issues bending over for long periods. I built a stand using cheep particle board from big box store. I think a sheet was less then $15.00. Used half of the sheet and some 2x4. I was a little unsure at first if I trusted the sturdiness but it has proved to work well. I do all my chainsawing outside.

Chain saw stand 2.jpgchain saw stand.jpg
    Last edited by Curtis Myers; 06-15-2016 at 7:59 AM.