Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Black Locust

Around here, Black Locust grows like a weed. Literally. The roots of a young established tree will send up sprouts relentlessly. But the roots are shallow and the trees topple in a big blow, especially when a lot of rain is involved. Then it becomes amazing firewood.

I'm encouraging the saplings to grow on my tiny plot specifically to use as fence posts. Doesn't take long- 6-7 years or so.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Beitz View Post
    Spruce and Locust trees is the hardest logs to make lumber out
    of on my mill...
    Might I ask why spruce is so difficult? I thought it was a fairly stable and straightforward wood. Does this explain the high price? I'm buying quite a bit of it this week for my latest boatbuilding project.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    Might I ask why spruce is so difficult? I thought it was a fairly stable and straightforward wood. Does this explain the high price? I'm buying quite a bit of it this week for my latest boatbuilding project.
    I'm interested in hearing about that too, although I've never sawn spruce.

I do know that Virginia Pine give me grief. Not in the drying - it dries nicely and stays straight. But in the sawing! (Woodmizer) I think the problem is the sap usually builds up on one side of the blade and creates more friction on that side. If I'm not careful the blade will take a "dive" and the board will get thicker until I catch it. Then I have a badly cut board.

I have to spend some time cleaning off the sap. I stand behind the running saw and stick a long screwdriver on top the blade and scrape off the sap buildup, staying away, of course, from the gullets and teeth.

JKJ

Black locust is much like concrete, but harder and tougher on tools. It’s great firewood, with more BTU per cord than almost anything. I’ve never had the guts to mill it up for a project. I respect my tools too much.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

That black locust would make some great trailer decking.

from what I understand black locust has to be felled and sawn the same day to minimize wear on tooling. but I have never done anything with the stuff. So it might be a tale.

Quote Originally Posted by david privett View Post
    from what I understand black locust has to be felled and sawn the same day to minimize wear on tooling. but I have never done anything with the stuff. So it might be a tale.
    I havent heard or experienced that, but maybe it depends on where it grew. I've sawn it from a few days cut to on the ground for over a year. I mostly made turning blanks and boards to use outdoors around the farm.

Never thought it particularly difficult to work, softer and easier to turn than some woods I've had like Lyptus. I usually use Thompson 10V tools, maybe that helps, shaving-sharp.

The absolute worst wood I've ever had for dulling tools was a 3" thick plank of old walnut, said to be in a house as a fireplace mantel for 100 years. A new Starrett bi-metal saw was dulled in just a few cuts. If you want to play with it I still have the rest - we're not far up the road!

JKJ

JKJ

are we talking about the same wood that is used for fence posts? There again no experience with it. I was told that once the sap sets up it will dull a chain in one cut, another tale?

IME, mostly it's tough stuff (my father and I felled one stand which was notable for _not_ dulling the saw incredibly quickly, usually we spent more time sharpening when cutting it than other woods) --- it's a bow wood, so if you can get straight lengths, a bowyer would want it.

Had a mobile job where a black locust had gone down during a storm, finished off by a tree service. Total job was over 900 bf/ including 650 bf of black locust. The black locust logs had been down up to a month. Used three blades, two because of nail hits. Didn't seem to offer any difficulties. I also mill hedge (Osage orange, bois 'arc, bodark) fairly often and it, too, mills fine.

are we talking about the same wood that is used for fence posts? There again no experience with it. I was told that once the sap sets up it will dull a chain in one cut, another tale?
    Yes, it's black locust, almost as good in the ground as osage orange. Mine is ositively IDed from the leaves, bark, flowers, end grain, and most reliably - from the distinctive yellow-green fluorescence from 365nm UV light. I've cut it fresh, old, by chainsaw, woodmizer, shop bandsaw. Like some other woods, it does dull tools but I never thought it excessive.

I have some turning stock air drying now for over 10 years. It might be fun to do a test and compare it with osage, persimmon, lignum vitae or another hard wood. Perhaps sharpen two skews to equivalent edges. (I have a SharpCkeck edge sharpness device) Check the sharpness before and after making some equivalant cuts. I also have a tree in the yard I let get too big and needs to be removed. Maybe I'll try some fresh vs aged cuts with the chain saw, a subjective test but who knows.

Again, maybe where it grows makes a difference, for example what minerals are in high proportions in the soil. I have no idea about this but maybe a wood expert would know about the conditions and chemistry that turns minerals in the soil into abrasive extractives in the heartwood.

I've never done and "woodworking" with black locust - I use it for things like garden stakes. I've used it for turning mostly when I wanted a heavy, utility piece such as a non-tippable pencil holder for a handicapped friend without good motor control. The wood, at least what I have, is bland and boring. It's cousin, honey locust, is far more interesting!

JKJ

well now I know , I guess there are other exaggeration's besides fishing stories. go figure, where have we seen that before? District of Colombia maybe?

well now I know , I guess there are other exaggeration's besides fishing stories. go figure, where have we seen that before? District of Colombia maybe?
    Maybe next time I drive by Cleveland I throw out a chunk of well dried black locust from my farm and you can try it yourself! I still don't know if the same species from elsewhere is different.

please do, I will look forward to it.

Blog Entries
    You HAVE to mill and use this stuff (locust and BoDock (Bois d'arc ) green or it is really tough to cut afterwards. But makes some nice stuff.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others