Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: REAXX review

1. As I recall, Steve Gass, the inventor of Sawstop first attempted to license his technology to existing table saw companies but was met with indifference - either from cost concerns or because having a safety technology on some of their saws would open up a company to liability for their other saws. He reportedly had a tentative agreement with Ryobi, but the company wanted him to assume all liability for any malfunction or other deficiency in the mechanism, even though Ryobi was going to be manufacturing the mechanism, and talks eventually fell through.

At at this point Gass founded his own company and began manufacturing saws himself. At some point, he began lobbying for tighter safety rules to require the technology. Not surprisingly, the industry and its lobbying group fought this quite hard. Again, there are those who say it was strictly a financial opposition and others who argue that they opposed it due to liability concerns. Regardless, they eventually defeated the proposal, but in the process agreed to start making riving knives, blade guards and other safety equipment standard.

At this point, I don't know if Gass is still open to licensing his technology or not. If he is, and cost was truly the concern by the other manufacturers, presumably having two similar technologies would drive the cost down. I have a suspicion that the cost argument was simply a ruse and that the real concern of the saw manufacturers was one of legal liability, in which case we are no more likely to see a Powermatic saw with a Bosch mechanism than with a Sawstop mechanism. Someone mentioned a successful lawsuit in an earlier post. If that is true, that would likely do more to make the technology available than anything else.

The last I read, the legal issues between Bosch and Sawstop were ongoing, so the long term availability of the Reaxx saw may still be in question. I haven't used or even seen in person the Reaxx saw. I did own a Bosch 4100 saw and while it was in general a good saw, I had a difficult time keeping the riving knife and to a lesser extent the fence alligned with the blade. The Irving knife was a major issue, since it would move out of alignment with the blade on a regular basis and cause the wood to either bind between the knife and the fence, or pull the wood away from the fence and towards the blade, both of which were safety concerns. because of this and the fact that a hand injury could be financially devistating to me I sold the saw and purchased a saw stop cabinet saw. It's not a fair comparison, but there is no comparison and I couldn't be happier.

For what it's worth, we actually put a hand into the saw this week (not a hot dog) in a controlled test. I don't recommend anyone else do this, but we felt we had taken enough precautions in our setup. Figured this was a newsworthy way to resurrect this thread...

Putting Your Hand in a Saw Blade – Bosch ReaXX Test Video
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 09-06-2016 at 6:21 PM. Reason: Direct links to for profit websites owned by the member are not permitted
    Clint Everett DeBoer
    Editor-in-Chief

Quote Originally Posted by Clint DeBoer View Post
    For what it's worth, we actually put a hand into the saw this week (not a hot dog) in a controlled test. I don't recommend anyone else do this, but we felt we had taken enough precautions in our setup. Figured this was a newsworthy way to resurrect this thread...

do it without the 2x4 then its newsworthy
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 09-06-2016 at 6:22 PM. Reason: removed link

Quote Originally Posted by Clint DeBoer View Post

The problem with the way he did the test is that even if the saw didn't have a brake technology and you did it exactly the same way (a quick slap), you'd likely wind up with about the same cut on his hand.

I don't want to encourage anyone to stick their hand into a saw blade but it would be interesting to see what the damage is when someone hits a ReaXX blade by accident.

Mike
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 09-06-2016 at 6:22 PM. Reason: removed link
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Ouch...

(10 char)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    The problem with the way he did the test is that even if the saw didn't have a brake technology and you did it exactly the same way (a quick slap), you'd likely wind up with about the same cut on his hand.
    Yup. Seems like this is just some dude we've never seen here before hawking his website. And, I didnt see any clear indication of how fast the Bosch reacted - would he have gotten such a light cut if he lowered the blade some and took away the 2x4? I have no way of judging that because the test was setup for sensationalism, not to get meaningful test data. Some guys will do anything to get hits on their websites. Speaking only for myself, the lack of integrity in this test makes me suspicious of all their other tool tests.
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 09-06-2016 at 6:19 PM.

That test would make me think if the saw safety really works well enough. What saved his hand was the 2x4.

My summary....another not too bright person.