Thread: New Hand Tool Storage Cabinet - How to Attach Tool Brackets to 1/2 ply doors?

New Hand Tool Storage Cabinet - How to Attach Tool Brackets to 1/2 ply doors?

Hey Folks,

My SWMBO and I have completed the build of a tool cabinet for our shop. We built one of the common styles, which has 1/2 inch maple ply as the carcass back and front doors. I want to attach tool holders to the inside of the two doors, but I need some advice on how to keep brackets on the inside face without blowing through the ply and having some ugliness on the beautiful door fronts. I doubt I can use any kind of screw. I was thinking small biscuits. Is that a workable method? Any other ideas would be most welcome. All the examples have brackets on the insides - there must be a way.

Thanks folks, always a pleasure.

Joe

Not sure how much weight your going to have hanging off of it, but glue is probably all you need. It wouldn't hurt to add a small biscuit.

P.S. If your not talking about wood brackets glue might not be a good idea.
    Last edited by Mike Delyster; 06-03-2016 at 11:42 PM.

Assuming wood brackets... I was thinking glue also, or if you're concerrned that might not be strong enough, use a good 2 part epoxy.

I had the same problem, I used screws just long enough to hold the wood tool holders until the glue set-up.

How about glueing french cleats?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Cenicola View Post
    How about glueing french cleats?
    That's a clever idea! You could glue/epoxy the cleat to the back of the doors. I use them on my walls and they work great!

Blog Entries
    Not generally something you add afterward as you lose depth but, this is why I use pegboard for some applications. forgetting all the memories of bad peg designs of the past, the ability to shift holders when things change is always welcome for me. Others have more static situations. The toolholders all have small "L" screws in the back that engage the pegboard. I suppose you could stand-off some pegboard and not lose any more depth that you would with a french cleat. Not for everyone but, serves my transient shop organization well.

Plane Till (30).jpgPlane Till (16).jpgPlane Till (31).jpgPlane Till (54).jpgPlane Till (47).jpg

Ah! Here's an anomaly; I set a plastic sinker into the pegboard hole and screw the saw holder right to it. A dowel on the back of the mahogany piece keeps the handle receiver aligned and the same screw that holds the rig in place acts as a pivot for the 1/4" plywood keeper.

Plane Till (35).jpg
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 06-04-2016 at 10:17 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Perhaps a sub panel mounted to the back of the door 1/2" ply as well mount using french cleats. At that point you can screw through for all tool holding fixtures and just set it back in place . Only draw back I see is losing depth not sure if that matters. Good luck always fun setting tools up!