Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: satellite internet disruption

Ok after pounding my head against the wall for a while, I decided to try something. The USB cable that came with the laser was 10 ft long so I changed it to a 6 ft cable and the problem went away. Too much bleeding through the longer line? Anyway thank you one and all for your help, hopefully that is the end of it.
    Jim Cleary

Coles Corner engraving

Epilog mini 24-40w,Corel X6, wife looking over my shoulder telling me what I'm doing wrong!

Thanks for sharing what the "fix" was, I get real tired of people coming hear asking for help then never reporting back. This could really help any one of us when we are chasing a problem, and it's fairly cheap to swap out a cable to see if that fixes it.
    Thanks again,
    Scott
    Rabbit Laser RL-60-1290, Rotary attachment, Corel Draw x6, Bobcad Ver 27
    Juki-LU 2810-7, Juki 1900 AHS, Juki LU-1508, Juki LH-3188-7, Juki LH 1182
    Sheffield 530 HC webbing cutter

Fantastic !!!! Fixed...

Thanks for sharing the fix.

AL
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".

4. Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    If NOT, then why on earth would ULS think your sat internet is causing your problem? "Radio waves coming in from the line"? Seriously? The only radio waves are those hitting the antenna. And there's FAR more electric goings-on happening inside your laser that would affect it's operation before any low voltage current passing thru the coax to your modem ever would...
    It wouldn't necessarily be the sat radio signal, in fact it's pretty unlikely. However, as others have said interference from low quality power supplies, cabling or poor shielding can cause issues like this. Depending on the application the distance spec for USB is either 3 meters or 5 meters but there are other factors involved such as the USB host side of the circuit. Solving the issue by switching out the cables (assuming the system worked properly prior to the internet install) indicates a bit more complex electrical/radio interaction. Good to see he did this and is back up and going.

Electrical systems and/or circuits can act as both transmitters and receivers of spurious radio and/or power emissions either via compromised cabling or circuits. That's one of the things that makes some of these issues (and it's not strictly about laser engraver/cutter) difficult to solve. A somewhat similar issue can occur in CNC plasma where the grounding structure of the system can cause havoc with the host computer of the machine. That's one of the reasons that devices are required to get FCC B approval to be used in a residential app. Even with a Class B device that's no guarantee that something like cheap cables, dodgy electrical system/connections or other environment issues won't contribute to cause an issue.
    Last edited by Dave Stevens-Vegas; 06-06-2016 at 2:12 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by James Cleary View Post
    The USB cable that came with the laser was 10 ft long so I changed it to a 6 ft cable and the problem went away. Too much bleeding through the longer line?
    Could have been poorly shielded internally, not the proper twist ratio for the data lines, etc. A poor cable can reek havoc with a HiSpeed line.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    If NOT, then why on earth would ULS think your sat internet is causing your problem?
    Because the ULS tech was bored and the machine in question was an Epilog?
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    A poor cable can reek havoc with a HiSpeed line.
    Well, that............ ^^^^^ stinks ;^)