Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I can't decide.

I can't decide.

Hello again Creekers!

My birthday is coming up and I'm trying to help my girlfriend decide how much I'm worth. It's appearing that we will have to agree to disagree, but let's say I have about a $600 limit.

My Roubo should be finished fairly soon, and so that means I won't have many excuses left for why I'm not actually doing woodworking. I currently have a LV LA Jack plane, and a LV large router plane. I was thinking of asking for a LV BU jointer plane, and a LV DX60 block plane. Rob Lee, if you are reading this..I will offer my services to do whatever is necessary to get a NX60. If it will require breaking the law, just PM me and use the code word "cacophony". I would sincerely love to throw my money at you for this plane.

I don't have a powered jointer, although I think I'll end up with one eventually. I'm also pretty terrible with hand planing at the moment, but I just got some David Charlesworth dvds - thanks to another thread on these forums. I think the BU jointer from LV would make sense, but I'm finding myself pretty intrigued by the LN #8. I also have access to a lot of the LV planes from my friend, but I've never even held a LN. This may be part of the intrigue.

Help me decide! If I get the LN #8, I'd probably make the LN 60 1/2 my block plane. If I get the LV BU jointer, I'd probably go with the DX60. Unless a NX60 falls out of the sky 'wink wink', in which case I'm getting a tattoo that says Veritas..and will pledge my undying loyalty and first born son to Rob Lee.

Blog Entries
    Let me get this straight- this is your GIRLFRIEND, and you have a limit of $600? My WIFE gives me a limit of $100. My suggestion is MARRY THAT GIRL!!!!!

I have the Veritas bevel-up planes; all of them. I love them. I love that I can have three irons sharpened at three different angles and cover soft woods to figured hardwoods. I also love the toothed blade, which I now use quite a bit.

That said, I am saving up to buy a LN #8 because I long for a bigger, chunkier jointer for larger surfaces. I don't have a powered jointer either, and what I do is joint it by hand, then use a thickness planer to match the other side. You don't have to perfectly joint it smooth- just joint it so that it lays flat when it goes through the planer, then flip it over once you have thicknessed it and one more pass to touch up your hand jointing. After that I smooth by hand. For my Roubo build I did all the edge jointing by hand, but I admit for the top I gave up shortly and loaded everything in the Jeep and took it to the big shop where I have access to lots of tool drool and used a big powered jointer. That's only because of SO MANY board feet to joint.

SO... get a jointer, and if any money left, get a good block plane. The 60 1/2 is good, and the apron plane is also good. The difference is the apron plane doesn't have an adjustable mouth. I find I really do not need the adjustable mouth that much and I wind up using the apron plane more than the larger adjustable one.

If you really want to spend some money, the plane(s) that would be the last ones I would ever give up if forced to sell everything would be the Veritas skewed rabbeting block plane set. (2 planes- L & R). They are so versatile that I find them to be the best $350(ish) I've spent so far.

Now, back to this girlfriend- do you know what a good thing you have here? You do realize that now that you've posted this all over the internet there are going to be potential suitors busting down her door. I suggest you buy a ring as fast as you can and seal that deal.

Blog Entries
    Tough choices, glad it ins't my problem.

For the longest time I felt a #7 was enough jointer for me. Then one day while out enjoying antiquing with the wife a man offered me a Stanley #8 at a price I couldn't refuse. Now the #8 is my favored long plane. The #7 is set for a lighter cut to clean up any tear out that might be left by the #8.

Though a #6 also gets a lot of the shorter jointing work.

BTW, happy birthday and if your GF is willing to spend that much on you, maybe you should buy her a ring.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    ^^^ You see- Jim and I apparently posted at roughly the same time. I promise we did not collaborate. MARRY HER!!!! Good grief, man- any girl that sets a $600 tool limit is fine pickin's. I don't care what she looks like.

By the way, can she have a talk with my wife about gift limits? Maybe she could school my wife on what a PROPER gift limit is, and my wife could teach her how to make the best dinner dishes you ever tasted. It's a fair trade. You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours. I get a better gift, and you get better food. Win/Win. In fact, if you get my wife to raise her limit to $600, I'll promise to buy you that set of block planes. I still come out ahead of where I am now.

I would get a Ln foreplane I think it's a no 6. It's what I use to flatten my bench and it served me well before it tooled up to my large jointer machine.
    My birthdays coming up soon I will be lucky to get a burger.
    Happy bday. Gemini

Aj

My wife would really like to just IGNORE our birthdays!! She isn't into them,and would not let me buy her anything her last birthday!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    My wife would really like to just IGNORE our birthdays!! She isn't into them,and would not let me buy her anything her last birthday!
    A friend of mine hates birthday remembrances. He was born on the fifth of November. So I call him and tell him to have a happy Guy Fawke's day. It usually gives him a chuckle.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Jim, the reason it gives him a chuckle is, unlike Guy Fawkes ; his leg is only FIGURATIVELY being pulled.

Maybe taking a woodworking course would be good use of the funds.

And to all those who say "marry her", the OP did say they weren't in agreement as to the figure. I read that the $600 was his take on it.

Blog Entries
    I love my Veritas BU Jack for shooting board and end grain use but prefer a BD bench plane. I find them easier to keep sharp. All of mine are vintage from various makers but all have replacement Irons and cap irons, mostly LV, and all have corrugated soles because my first was a Union #7 that belonged to my great grandfather. I still need the fractional 5's. I want a LN 5-1/2c one day it will be mine.
    If I were looking for a block plane and joiner I would go with Lie Nielsen #8 and #60-1/2. I have vintage versions.
    yup that's what I would do.
    Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork

I will offer that over time the block plane has played a slightly less prominent place in my arsenal. The other LN/Veritas blocks are all superb workers as well, if not as sleek/sexy as the DX/NX.

The BU jointer is a fantastic plane. It is my favorite of the BU series. You can double up on your blades between that and your LA jack too. But, don't make too much of that. I don't have them specially tuned at different angles any more as I originally did. I just have them all sharpened well and it saves me having to resharpen as often. You could even get the toothed blade instead of the solid. But personally, until you are sure you want to joint things by hand, I would wait on this.

What do you sharpen with? I would personally invest in some great stones and chisels.

By the way, LV is having free shipping right now if tht helps....

Go to an antique mall, find a section with old tools and planes, and get a Stanley #5. Learn to flatten the sole, tune it, and sharpen it. Spend money on something flat, some sandpaper, and some diamond stones or higher sandpaper grits for the blades. Or maybe get a Worksharp 3000, since sharpening is something you'll always be doing.

Then watch some videos on how to use it. Get a piece of oak or mahogany (these are forgiving woods to hand plane in my opinion) and learn to use it for flattening. Learn how to read the grain for tear out and which direction to plane. Also try making a round over with it. Just draw the profile on the end grain by hand and learn to shape the board with it. When trying to plane on edge you'll appreciate your bench and vise a lot more.

After all is said and done, your Stanley #5 will work well and you'll know how to plane. You'll have done a lot of work getting there, but it shouldn't take too long.

After ALL of that, go use your remaining $500 (assuming you didn't buy a Worksharp 3000) and buy a LN or LV hand plane and you'll appreciate them so much more. You might decide you like fixing up the old stuff and get more of it.

Robby
    Last edited by Robby Tacheny; 06-01-2016 at 3:49 PM.

Blog Entries
    Learn to flatten the sole, tune it, and sharpen it.
    My advice would be to leave the sole flattening alone for awhile. It is easier to mess up a good sole than it is to flatten one that is out of shape.

jtk

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post

What do you sharpen with? I would personally invest in some great stones and chisels.

By the way, LV is having free shipping right now if tht helps....
    I have a set of Shapton Ceramic stones, and a DMT Diamond plate. I also have the new LN honing guide.

I had considered just upgrading to a nice set of chisels, but I figured I'd probably need a jointer plane. I have a Dewalt 735 planer, but I'd have to travel to a friend's shop to use a jointer. I guess I could use my LV LA jack for that purpose.

I've looked into taking a course, but can't seem to find any near my that have open dates. The $600 is available, I just think I'm worth more than that. I'm afraid if I put a ring on her finger, my value will go down to $100 or less...like Malcolm. I would take you up on that offer though Malcolm. My girlfriend's not much in the culinary department. I hope she never sees this website.