Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blacksmith made nails - fair price

They appear to be sold in boxes of 100.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    The tool box I made has butterfly hinges with PROPERLY CLENCHED nails. First you bend the tips at 90 degrees. Then hammer the shank down flat into the wood so the nail forms a staple. And,you do not have any sharp ended nails to catch on your clothing or cut yourself on by accident. This is the proper way to clench a nail. Not proper is making the nail look like a mis shapen puddle of spaghetti as seen on a well known TV show.
    George - how do you bend the tips? Pliers?

Yes you can bend the tip with pliers, but real carpenters would hit the tip of the nail with a hammer so it would fold over.

And indeed the nails from LN seem to go in boxes of 100. Overhere they sell them by weight.

This is true,but some members here are not pros,so I was offering a SURE way for them to neatly clench nails.(actually,I didn't specify how to bend the tips). Look what happened on Roy's show when Swartz clenched nails into tired little puddles.

I am a neat freak,so I just use my leatherman to SHARPLY bend the tips so they go in neater. All of you should carry a Super Leatherman. I use mine a dozen times a day when I'm working.

Horse shoe nails at Tractor Supply are $11.99 per 100,if you want to head your own nails. What I like best,though,is the shanks are FLAT,so they clench flat and neatly without breaking the wood clear through.
    Last edited by george wilson; 06-06-2016 at 12:48 PM.

Of course, I use pliers too! And I think the woodwright shop is a very funny TV show, occasionaly inspiring and they are always in a terrible hurry! No wonder some things go awry.

We were in a hurry too,when we made a spinet and a violin during the off season at Williamsburg. Everything takes much longer when you are filming. Takes,re takes,etc. The camera was eternally getting a "hair" in the shutter(why,I don't know!) Certainly made re takes a bother. I didn't have a "spare" spinet or violin to make retakes on.