Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Workshop flooring - rubber tile sources

Workshop flooring - rubber tile sources

Building a new shop ~900 sq ft. Concrete slab on grade. One side of the shop will have a garage door in front, and some day may actually serve as a garage for the next home owner, hopefully after I die.

Was contemplating a professional epoxy job on the concrete at a round $3,000-4,000, but then my feet and knees starting complaining. Now I'm thinking I'd be better off just leaving the concrete bare and putting down rubber tiles everywhere. Tiles would allow for the expected reconfiguration,...

The other option is to throw mats over the epoxy, but I can see the value in total coverage since I'll be moving around a lot, and the cost of a rubber floor is probably similar to a professional high-solids epoxy job.

So what are people using for interlocking rubber floor tiles? How thick? Who was your supplier?
    Mark McFarlane

I found flooring to be the best value when bought locally. I tried and tried to get a cheaper price ordering online, it came close but it still ended up being cheaper from a local supplier. Since your in Saudi Arabia, it would be an awful far journey to where I went . Good luck, shipping was a killer to CT, I can only imagine what you have to pay.

Mark, I remember reading about someone that had used DRIcore subfloor tiles in a similar situation. The article was in FWW a while back. Basically interlocking tiles that are normally used for a basement, stops any damp rising from the concrete and cushions the floor. Also has sufficient weight capacity

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Giddings View Post
    Mark, I remember reading about someone that had used DRIcore subfloor tiles in a similar situation. The article was in FWW a while back. Basically interlocking tiles that are normally used for a basement, stops any damp rising from the concrete and cushions the floor. Also has sufficient weight capacity
    The DRICore subfloor is interesting. 2'*2' T&G OSB with a plastic piece on the bottom for air circulation. Pretty cheap - ($1/69 sq foot) but I'm not sure how much cushion it provides, and I really don't think I want an OSB floor.
    Mark McFarlane

Quote Originally Posted by Jebediah Eckert View Post
    I found flooring to be the best value when bought locally. I tried and tried to get a cheaper price ordering online, it came close but it still ended up being cheaper from a local supplier. Since your in Saudi Arabia, it would be an awful far journey to where I went . Good luck, shipping was a killer to CT, I can only imagine what you have to pay.
    Thanks Jedediah. The shop will be in Texas, I'm retiring in 5 more months. I changed my location to avoid future confusion. I'll look round for some local suppliers, next November when I get to Texas.
    Mark McFarlane

I have Harbor Freight foam tiles down on my floor - they're just "OK" but it was very cost effective for my small shop.

A while back I read that someone used thick rubber stall mats intended for horse stalls. Tractor Supply has a 3/4" thick 4'x6' mats for $40 each, but you might be able to find it even cheaper at a local co-op or farm supply in Texas.
    ~Garth

Got mine last year at rubberflooringinc.com. Looked at various options for flooring and liked this. Only disadvantage I have noticed so far is it can be a little difficult to sweep up sawdust. I tend to use a broom and then go over it with a shopvac. Overall I really like the rubber floor

Quote Originally Posted by mark mcfarlane View Post
    Thanks Jedediah. The shop will be in Texas, I'm retiring in 5 more months. I changed my location to avoid future confusion. I'll look round for some local suppliers, next November when I get to Texas.
    that will sure make things easier

Quote Originally Posted by Garth Almgren View Post
    I have Harbor Freight foam tiles down on my floor - they're just "OK" but it was very cost effective for my small shop.

A while back I read that someone used thick rubber stall mats intended for horse stalls. Tractor Supply has a 3/4" thick 4'x6' mats for $40 each, but you might be able to find it even cheaper at a local co-op or farm supply in Texas.
    That's an awesome price for interlocking 1/2" foam - $10 for 16 square feet. Why 'just ok'? Do they not fit together well, or the edge come up, or they are too soft,....?
    Mark McFarlane

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Ford View Post
    Got mine last year at rubberflooringinc.com. Looked at various options for flooring and liked this. Only disadvantage I have noticed so far is it can be a little difficult to sweep up sawdust. I tend to use a broom and then go over it with a shopvac. Overall I really like the rubber floor
    Jeff, which ones did you get? They have floor tiles rainging from $1-6 sq/ft.
    Mark McFarlane

I don't think mine was actually 1/2" but I'd have to double check. The ones I got were pretty flimsy, don't provide a whole lot of cushion, and they've become a bit brittle after a year, so I have to be really careful about not tearing them. I've doubled up in a couple places and that helped a bit with the cushioning.
    It is cheap enough that if they completely disintegrate I'd have to think real hard about replacing them with something more durable and thicker.
    ~Garth

Blog Entries
    I think it would be cool to do a rubberized coating like some basketball courts are made with. I have no idea how much that costs, but your quote for epoxy is much higher than I would have thought. It would be worth checking out. My high school had it and it was hard but had some spring to it.

I used what I think were called "cow mats". They are 3/4 inch thick rubber that has ribs. Installed after shop was in use for awhile so just put down over all bare floor. I am happy with them and would use again. One small issue is that the ribs will fill and compact in ribs, which I can tolerate. Perhaps if vacuuming after use it would be a problem. Purchase at a tractor supply or other type farm store. It might have been in hind sight that they should have been installed with the ribs down and "bubble" side up??
    Bob

I got these:

http://www.rubberflooringinc.com/int...bber-tile.html

Cost $3.24 sq/ft

Very good company to deal with, they will send free samples to compare

Good on the feet and if you drop a tool, there is no damage to the tool. My shop is about 25 x 18 and it took me about two hours to lay it down
    Last edited by Jeff Ford; 05-31-2016 at 8:12 PM.

OSB floors get a bad wrap. Mine has been down for 6 years and very little chipping. If you can afford the dricore id go with that. You back will thank you later.
    Don