Thread: Shorter legs on the newer G0766"s?

Shorter legs on the newer G0766"s?

Seems that Grizzly has made some adjustments on the spindle height of the G0766. The spec sheet on the 0766 on Grizzly's website still lists the spindle height at 47-13/16ths inches high, but the revised manual at the latter part of 2015 lists the spindle height at 46-1/4" - One of the posters on the GGMG mentioned his friend got a 0766 and it was shorter than his, so I began checking to see what the story was/is. The poster mentioned the leg castings being shorter than the original shipment of 0766's that went out early in 2015.

There was a good bit of conversation about the spindle height, and if the new measurement is indeed 46.25" then that is 1-9/16ths shorter than it was, so that might be helpful to those who were thinking the spindle is too high.

I have not verified anything with tech support, as I have no issues with my 0766, but someone considering the lathe might want to verify the center height with tech support in case it might be an issue for them personally.

Anyone heard anything about this change?

I measured my G0766, and the spindle center height is 46-5/8" but I have my leg castings as far down on the foot pads as it will go........I have both nuts on the upper side of the leg casting instead of one underneath and one on top like is in the manual.
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 05-30-2016 at 8:51 PM. Reason: additional info
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Roger, I just measured mine using a level aligned with a center and it is 47-7/8 to the centerline of the spindle. My adjusting legs are close to the very bottom of their travel but I have a nut under the casting as was shown in the manual.

My lathe was manufactured in June 2015.

I would prefer shorter legs. I've considered using a sawzall on the legs to shorten them and then drill the casting for some sort of new adjustment plate. But I was concerned that the drilling could weaken the legs.

The shorter legs were apparently cut in to production around December - - because the new manual says that it is for "machines mfd. since 12/2015". So if someone has a machine with a mfg date of December 2015 or newer, I suspect that they got the shorter legs.

Quote Originally Posted by Brice Rogers View Post
    Roger, I just measured mine using a level aligned with a center and it is 47-7/8 to the centerline of the spindle. My adjusting legs are close to the very bottom of their travel but I have a nut under the casting as was shown in the manual.

My lathe was manufactured in June 2015.

I would prefer shorter legs. I've considered using a sawzall on the legs to shorten them and then drill the casting for some sort of new adjustment plate. But I was concerned that the drilling could weaken the legs.

The shorter legs were apparently cut in to production around December - - because the new manual says that it is for "machines mfd. since 12/2015". So if someone has a machine with a mfg date of December 2015 or newer, I suspect that they got the shorter legs.
    I don't know if that is the case or not, Brice, but I would sure like to know what the "official word" on this is from Grizzly. I also wonder if the mounting holes, etc are the same for the shorter version [if there is indeed a shorter version of the leg castings] as are on the original ones that came on our lathes? If the mounting holes, etc are the same, then the new ones will fit the first group that were manufactured.

Either way, I am still VERY pleased with the performance and features of my G0766.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!