Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sawstop save

All I hear is that you ruined a good blade and have to get a new$70 brake. Damned Sawstops.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    All I hear is that you ruined a good blade and have to get a new$70 brake. Damned Sawstops.
    Hopefully that was meant to be humorous?

What I heard was that he didn't lose a finger, simply received a scratch.

regards, Rod.

Let's see what you would have heard if he didn't have a SawStop.

"Cut my finger off. Rushed to the ER where they sewed it back on. Cost me (and the insurance company) over $100,000 and I still can't feel anything on that finger or move it very well. And it's a little shorter than it used to be."

And that's the best case outcome.

Mike

[To give some cost comparison, I had an accident (not a shop accident) where I split my lip pretty bad. If I had let it heal on its own, I would have had a bad scar. Went to a plastic surgeon who sewed it up. Billed the insurance company a bit over $12,000. I'm sure they didn't pay all that but that was the bill - just for sewing up my lip so that it wouldn't have a noticeable scar. Yep, that's me in the picture below getting my lip sewn up.]
    MikeSplitLip.jpg
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 06-02-2016 at 5:21 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Earl, I'm very glad to hear that you're OK.

I suggest that in the future for ripping solid wood you use a short fence that ends at the front of the blade.

A simple "L" shape made from 2 pieces of 4 inch wide wood clamped to your fence would provide a short fence for you.

If you make it exactly 4 inch or 3 inch, it's easy to still use the rip fence scale for dimensioning.

Oh, and make sure the guard/splitter/riving knife is on the saw..............Regards, Rod.
    Hi - is the purpose of the short fence to prevent any binding happening past the leading edge of the blade?

I have a Biesmeyer style fence, but I have worked in shops with the Delta Unifence and I recall that it can be adjusted to accomplish what you are describing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Hopefully that was meant to be humorous?

What I heard was that he didn't lose a finger, simply received a scratch.

regards, Rod.
    I'd rather die with no thumbs than live under the twin thumb screws of corporate greed and government regulation.

I'd rather die with no thumbs than live under the twin thumb screws of corporate greed and government regulation.
    Really? That's a big one

Blog Entries
    Whatever... Pretty sad.

LOL and you think any other / EVERY other corporation isnt doing / hasnt tried / wouldnt do if they could the exact same things?! If so I wish I lived in the same world you do...
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I'd rather keep my thumbs.......There are better hills to die on than the SS one.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn de Souza View Post
    Hi - is the purpose of the short fence to prevent any binding happening past the leading edge of the blade?

I have a Biesmeyer style fence, but I have worked in shops with the Delta Unifence and I recall that it can be adjusted to accomplish what you are describing.
    Yes, the short fence helps prevent binding at the back if the blade, thereby reducing kickback chances. You can do this with your Biesmeyer fence, just attach a piece of plywood (or whatever) to the infeed side of the Biesmeyer fence and make it stop ~ 1" inch into the blade.

Here's an example jig.
    Mark McFarlane

Glad to hear you aren't hurt.

I have never had a Saw Stop. Been doing woodworking and cabinetry in an industrial setting for 11 years. I run a 5hp 12" saw, had several close calls, all parts in tact, zero hospital visits. But when I say close I mean close.. I almost lost my balls one day!! Literally.... That chunk of wood blew a total of 4 holes in my jeans, 2 holes in my underwear, and a large chunk out of the concrete block wall behind the saw, all in one motion. All because my push stick slipped out of my hand, which hit me in the gut... Moral of the story.. be ready for anything..

I never subscribed to SawStop just because there's an override switch for working on damp material. So basically if I run damp material and I forget to hit the override switch, it costs me $300... Then after you run damp material, you have to worry about employees turning the safety back on. I always figured too much cost and messing around. I figure if I lost a finger it would be on my jobsite saw anyway, cause I don't work quite as dangerously in shop.

Quote Originally Posted by jessie hachey View Post
    Glad to hear you aren't hurt.

I have never had a Saw Stop. Been doing woodworking and cabinetry in an industrial setting for 11 years. I run a 5hp 12" saw, had several close calls, all parts in tact, zero hospital visits. But when I say close I mean close.. I almost lost my balls one day!! Literally.... That chunk of wood blew a total of 4 holes in my jeans, 2 holes in my underwear, and a large chunk out of the concrete block wall behind the saw, all in one motion. All because my push stick slipped out of my hand, which hit me in the gut... Moral of the story.. be ready for anything..

I never subscribed to SawStop just because there's an override switch for working on damp material. So basically if I run damp material and I forget to hit the override switch, it costs me $300... Then after you run damp material, you have to worry about employees turning the safety back on. I always figured too much cost and messing around. I figure if I lost a finger it would be on my jobsite saw anyway, cause I don't work quite as dangerously in shop.

Just st a clarification: the safety resets automatically when the stop switch is initiated. You must reset the safety each time you start the saw.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Blog Entries
    Doesn't the Saw Stop have a riving knife? If so, why would you be pushing the board against the fence behind the blade?

I'm still surprised that everytime these threads come up the same old "wet material", "forget the override", "what if I hit a staple", "adjusting the brake for every blade" ideas are still floating around.