Thread: Planer Table extensions

Planer Table extensions

I have a old 15" Yorkcraft Planer

The infeed table extension is not perfectly level with the cutter head table and the outfeed table extension, which are both level with each other.

The infeed table is canted slightly down from the other two tables surfaces.

Is this by design or should it be perfectly level?

I have my infeed and outfeed tables perfectly level with the main table. Others will say that you need the outer ends of the infeed and outfeed slightly higher then the main table to prevent snipe. I don't have any issues.

Thanks Cary

My infeed is slightly lower and the board picks up slightly off the infeed table when it first goes in.

Somehow not getting any snipe on it at all.

Perhaps that is because I have only been planing short boards of 3 feet or less so far. Not enough weight/leverage to pull the board down for sniping.

Guess I should shim under the screws of that infeed table. Is that the best way to do it? Soda can shims perhaps?

Thanks Rob

My Grizzly has set screws that you use for adjustments. If you don't have that then soda cans will do. If your board is lifting up off the table then you have the bed rollers above the table a smidge? I got tired of the planer picking up the board and slapping it down on the table so I moved the rollers below the table. Wax the tables and you don't need the rollers if you are working with skipped planed or better wood.