Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Here comes Rita!!

Here comes Rita!!

Well, we are getting ready for Rita to take a hit on the Texas coast. I live in LaPorte which is on Galveston Bay and predictions are that my house will be flooded out if not outright blown away. I know there are some other Creekers who are around my area as well and I wanted to wish them all the best of luck in the coming days and I sincerely hope that ya'll weather the storm and can make it back to the shop and the Creek in record time. Realistically, I don't think that I will have the same luck - I am preparing for the worst but PRAYING for the best. I hope to evacuate tomorrow night or Thursday morning at the latest - have to work until released. So if we, in this area, don't get back to the Creek for a bit wish us all the best and keep us in your thoughts and prayers. Thanks in advance. See ya'll on the leeward side.

If you want to keep up with what is going on in the Houston area here is one of our local TV stations websites that has some video and news - www.click2houston.com

Hope that I didn't violate the TOS with the link - not intentional and no affiliation.
    Again, thanks in advance - Mike Tempel

Mike, you got it my friend, our thoughts and prayers will be with you. Living in Florida most of my life I know what a hurricane can do -- and the only recourse is to ride it out or run. You are smart in evacuating. Good luck my friend, may God be with you.
    Tony

Mike, with my daughter living near the Gulf in FL, I've become somewhat of a "hurricane watcher". When the threat of landfall comes in, especially now after Katrina, I'll tell you like I tell my own daughter: "Run! Run like the wind and take care of yourself and your family!" Things, property and yes, even a WW shop and equipment can be replaced. Yours or your family's lives can't! Prepare as best you can, but get out as soon as you can! PLEASE!!! Take care and check back in with us as soon as you can. God Bless and I'll keep you and the other good folks in those areas in my prayers.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Mike: The best wish I can make for you is that you get off as easily as we did with Katrina, but I fear that may be an empty wish. But I do pray you deal wisely with the problem.
    18th century nut --- Carl

Mike, good luck with weathering this storm, I just read it is now a cat 4, nothing to shake a stick at! Get out fast and hope to heck your house and shop survives. Let us know ASAP that you are safe.
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

By whatever means available, go north and/or west away from the coast.

Your family's safety is of utmost importance. All else can be replaced.

Karl
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

Mike, best wishes to you and your family (and neighbors). If you can fit it in...take a lot of pictures and/or video of everything before you pull out to help with the recovery later should you sustain damage. And stay safe...that's the most important thing.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Good luck with weathering the upcoming storm. The folks on the Gulf Coast are in my thoughts and prayers!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    Mike,
    Good luck with the storm... Just get yourself and your family out of there.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Mike my pryers and thoughts are with you.

Mike, we'll be praying for you up here in North Texas as well. Do you already have a place to go? Jim.

Me an LOML will be heading to Lake Tomahawk Baptist Encampment near Livingston, TX. tomorrow morning (Thursday). Based on the current track it looks like Baytown and surrounding areas will see 100MPH + winds and some significant rain.

All you Texas woodworkers out their in the threat areas please be safe and don't take any chances.
    Waymon...
    ...My heroes are not athletes, entertainers or politicians;
    ALL my heroes wear US Armed Forces uniforms...

I'm about 35 miles northeast of Houston (about 125 miles from the coast), hopefully we won't have it too bad up here, what worries me is tornadoes spinning off. Best of luck to all those along the coast, our prayers are with you.
    David

Just found out my brother, who lives in Houston, has to evacuate by Friday. Poor guy just finished redoing his house and had back surgery a month ago. Apparently, he's headed for the woods of Arkansas with his family to camp out. Sure hope everyone down that way will be OK. Nature really bites sometimes.

Stayin' and Prayin'

Right now, here in Katy, our plans are to ride it out. It's a CAT 5 now, and local TV said to expect hurricane force winds here in Fort Bend county for 8 to 10 hours. I'm not sure this cookie cutter house will stand up to those kinds of winds or not...

I've been buckling down the shop yesterday and today. Getting whatever supplies are left at the stores... It's a madhouse around these parts.

Todd