Thread: Douglas Fir

Douglas Fir

A friend asked if I was up for a challenge and he gave me a Douglas Fir blank. It certainly was a challenge since it had a large resin band running through it. I decided to make part of it into a hummingbird feeder and the rest into a pepper mill. Sanding was interesting as it clogged the paper up pretty quickly. I wiped both projects down with mineral spirits and then sealed them with dewaxed shellac before applying the final finishes. The feeder gor 6 dip coats of General outdoor finish and the mill has 7 coats of an all natural, environmentally friendly oil finish. Pretty pleased with the way both turned out.

Thanks for looking.
    Michael
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'd say you met the challenge very well Michael. Both forms highlight the grain pattern. Very pretty.
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

Thanks David.

Michael

These look great! I've avoided turning Douglas Fir and some "fat" pine for years now. Maybe I'll break down and try it now.

JKJ

The form at the left makes me a tad uncomfortable

The grain presentation in both pieces is so wonderful; I aspire to that. Nicely done!

Nice job Michael. That sure has striking grain. Do you think that finish will last in the outdoors?

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    The form at the left makes me a tad uncomfortable
    Aaaannd now me too. Thanks…

Thanks for the comments. Many people have mentioned the shape of my feeders - hmmm didn't realize there were so many minds out there that worked that way!

I have been using this finish for a number of years now and it stands up really well. It may also be due to the fact that I dip coat the feeders so each coat is a thick, full coat. The ash feeder we have hanging outside our window has been up for about 15 years. I've sanded and recoated it would once so I'd say that is a pretty good record. I've probably sold at least 300 of these and never had anyone complain about the finish not holding up.

Michael

Fat pine, lighter pine, resinous pine sands well with soapy water sanding on the lathe--no problem.

Nice job on the Douglas Fir. I had no idea it could look so handsome. I think I might try some some day. Very nice!