Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Design opinions please

Design opinions please

I am 89% finished with my big order. I have 11 more of these tall (9" to 11") chalices to make. The Yellow one in the center is the standard shape. The rest represents variations that happened while I worked and played.

I would like your opinion on which are the most appealing to your eye. All of them have heavier stems than they would as ornamental pieces, because they are meant to be used for years as communion chalices. Your feedback will help me design the remaining pieces.

#1 & 2 - Cherry
    #3 - Sapele
    #4, 5, & 6 - Maple
    #7 - Fern Pine (Podocarpus Gracilior)
    #8 & 9 - Cherry (with the tenon still attached)
    #10, 11, 12 & 13 - Beech
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Brian Kent; 05-25-2016 at 12:27 PM.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

# 2 is my favorite although I like most of them.

2 and 7 are my favorite.

Agreed #2 and #7

I think #1 has the best proportions, taking into account you intentionally left the shaft heavy. The base seems to support the visual mass of the cup and the widest diameter of the cup appears to fall 2/3 of the height - consistent with the "rules" set forth by Russ Fairfield. The cove in the stem narrows at the proper point and has a nice sweep to it.

Overall, it doesn't appear tipsy, as some of the taller ones do IMO. This is a functional piece.

Someone has has to be different and today is my day!

I second what John said - especially in regard to height & the width of the base.
    No, the sky is not falling - just chunks of it are.

Sort of different -- #11 and #2

2 is my favorite.

The defined shoulder between the foot/stem and stem/cup appeals to me.

The thinner stem with relatively abrupt tapers appeals to me; the taper on #7 makes the foot region too heavy, IMHO.

#2 feels delicate but substantial and not top-heavy.

Thicker stems feel very "Thrones-ey" to me. Thinner feels more refined and appropriate here...?

I guess I'm different too - #11 & #12
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Another test just occurred to me. I could put a white tablecloth down. Fill each one with a cup of grape juice, then bump the table and measure the spill-zone
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

#2 - #10 - #11 are the most appealing for me.
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

Hmmm... As with everyone else, I like the general proportions of #2, except that the cup seems a little smallish to me.

I also like #5, though I think the top could be very slightly larger and the bulge on the top section the stem a little more exaggerated. I think it's the strong ogee shape of the cup that attracts me to this one.

the one in the middle. But I would want to hold them in my hands to see how they feel, and drink from it to see how that felt.

#1 is most pleasing to me. The proportions seem right and I like stems that curve in to the middle and out to the cup in similar amounts of curve unlike 8 and 9. IMHO the additions or beads in the stem take away from 10 and 11. I also to not like the look where the cup is separated from the stem by a groove. I would try the cup from 1 on the stem from 13, although that would be for looks and not function. All of this is personal opinion of course. They all look good and functional. Let us know how your tip test goes. Be sure to use something that will stain the cloth.

Number 2 I think is the best one. Both with design and wood selection.