Thread: Interesting video I found

Interesting video I found

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PL6...&v=bQZsPs7jaPE

So while looking around at various videos online , I found this guy Zefeng Zhang. All I can say is give it a watch, as the videos are for the most part extremely informative. Uses hand tools, and in many projects he films the entire process, and gives quite a few pointers, tips and tricks, and alot of the "why"behind things. There is also quite a bit in there that is discussed on these forums. He is also pretty efficient as well, the the type of efficiency I imagine that comes from years of practice and handed down knowledge(and he works in a rather tiny shop).

Also he has a series on making planes and a bow saw.

Have a Good One,
    Josh
    Last edited by Joshua Hancock; 05-23-2016 at 2:15 PM. Reason: spelling, added info

Blog Entries
    It would be nice if there were subtitles. He is convincing, but hard to understand.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

The ones i have watched, like the stool and mortise and tenons have translated subtitles. Though I did see a few without.

Hey, these are great videos!

Also, really interesting - the bow saws he's using have the blades mounted in a fixed position at 45 degrees, making both long rips and (/or) long crosscuts possible without having a turning blade. Is this common in any other bow saw style, or is it uniquely a Chinese thing?

Anyway, I love seeing other methods of woodworking. He also was mortising with the bevel towards him, and angling the chisel. Interesting.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Hancock View Post
    The ones i have watched, like the stool and mortise and tenons have translated subtitles. Though I did see a few without.
    It may be my video software. I am running a pretty old computer and OS.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Start the video, open the settings menu under the video and enable sub titles in English. There was a fairly long thread on this guy a few years ago from memory.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

ooops, didnt mean to start a duplicate thread.

I found the old one from 2014

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/archive/.../t-216717.html

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Hancock View Post
    ooops, didnt mean to start a duplicate thread.

I found the old one from 2014

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/archive/.../t-216717.html
    I don't think starting a new thread is a problem, I just mentioned it out of interest.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening