Thread: 20" Yorkcraft Planer Info

20" Yorkcraft Planer Info

What kind of project is changing the straight knife cutterhead to a byrd head? I've already got the byrd head and I'm trying to prep for any and all problems that might pop up.I need to get bearings yet, and gearbox oil, but the rest would seem to be about having the right tools handy. Am I right?
    Thanx in advance,
    Greg

I am surprised nobody replied. I have never done it. There are quite a few videos on youtube to walk you through it. Different brands but standard 4 post planers. I think Grizzly has a video on their site but I can't find it at the moment.

I did the upgrade to my Craftex variant over Christmas. Viewing this video and the grizzly one worked for me.
    Mike

I haven't installed a spiral head but did the same process removing my cutter head on my 15" Jet to clean surface rust and replace bearings. I watched a couple vids but also used the instructions from Byrd.
    Bearings, oil, and tools should be all you need. It wasn't that hard though IIRC I had a few slow downs trying to figure out how the chain drive and gears came apart.

Thanx guys, I do have one question. When I look at the powermatic 209 hh online since I don't have a manual, I see item #54 that is a bearing on the cutterhead. It only calls for one which I know is wrong but I hesitate to order two 6206 bearings on an assumption.Is that what I'm dealing with?
    Greg

Unfortunately you can't assume the size or number of bearings across different 4 post planers even though they look the same. A lot of times PM will use one size larger then other folks. My Jet JPM-13 had smaller bearings then the Grizzly equivalent even though the guts looked like they were the same. I know it sucks but without the Yorkcraft manual you will have to probably wait until you get it apart.

Cary,
    That was what I figured but I was hoping somebody on the site had done it and remembered what bearings were used.
    Thanx,
    Greg

There are two bearings, however, they are different sizes. First of all, if you have no reason to think you need new bearings, then take the ones on your machine odd and use them. Just because Powermatic may use different size bearings does not mean anyone else does. They probably due as part of their rationale to claim their products are superior. even if they are, getting new bearings is probably fairly easy if you live in a fairly large community.
    My own opinion? Do the upgrade. It is well worth the time and possible hassle.
    Mike

I live in a fairly big area and work for a very large company. I know I can find bearings with no problem, as it is, we have two bearing manufacturers in town.What had and has me scratching my head is the fact that in the online manuals for the powermatic 209 there is only one bearing referenced on the cutterhead.That is what I'm trying to find out is what the second bearing is?
    Greg

There is one bearing installed on the actual cutterhead on the drive pulley side. The other is actually mounted in the gear box on the other side.

The video shows this clearly.
    Mike

Mike,
    Thanx, I was looking at it as a pdf file on my computer in work and could not definitively say that was what I was. I appreciate the verification .
    Greg