Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bandsaw Riser Kit

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Van Der Loo View Post
    Maybe you should look at this page from Grizzly, just scroll down and you will see there are 5 saw models, and two saws have alluminium wheels the others have cast iron wheels.

Remove this part/ http://www.grizzly.com/products/14-1...campaign=zPage /and this as well

You can see all dimensions are exactly alike, and as I said before the only difference here is again just the guide post are different because some use the rack and pinion adjustment and other do not.

As for Rich having a problem, who says it was the riser block that caused this, the block could have been off, or his height adjustment bracket could have been right, as these are just cheap cast pieces, I do not believe it was because of the riser block sets ###

Here are the riser sets all alike but for color and the guide post.
    Leo,
    I agree it could have been the original frame of the saw having the dimensional discrepancy. I never put a blade on 93" blade on it. I immediately installed the riser block and put the 105" blade on it. It is amazing how well the saw cuts now - just like the bandsaw at the paper mill where I previously worked.

Now you want to talk about bandsaws, we have two bandsaws at work made by Filer and Stowel back in the 60s. They have 8 foot diameter top and bottom wheels with a blade that is 13" wide. The shaft for the top wheel is about 10 ft above the operating floor and the bottom wheel is in the basement.They are capable of cutting up to a 54" diameter logs. We cut all local hardwood - up to 82,000 board feet per day. Working there, I am like a kid in a candy store at work. I get burls for turning, lumber and even a birdseye log now and then if it has a large heart.

Rich Aldrich
    Last edited by Rich Aldrich; 05-25-2016 at 8:43 PM.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

Rich the original Delta saw was a great saw, these copies of it are pretty good for the money, and the one I have does a good job. knowing how to set-up and adjust the saws makes a so-so saw into a real good piece of equipment.

As for saw and also bandsaws, our families firm did all kinds of work and I got a lot of experience in a very wide field in mechanical and automotive fields, we did also work for a couple of sawmills in our area.

I helped a friends sawmill from going bankrupt by setting their new secondhand bandsaw up so they could use it, as it was set up by the engineer from the company they bought it from, out of Germany, and when he was gone (and wasn’t coming back) and they where ready to use it, it would just not cut flat and straight.

It was a fairly large horizontal bandsaw, nowhere the size of your work place one, but had wheels of about 5 or 6 feet (it’s been a while) and this was placed in a newly build hall and needed to saw specialty Oak beams for the restoration and rebuilding of buildings that had been damaged in the war and or were neglected because of the fund being spend on more pressing matters, and these beams had to be delivered.

This saw had a very long hydraulic cylinder to move the carriage back and forth, after having looked it over and seen the problem they had, it was really a very basic and therefore a simple adjustment and then it was making a perfect flat and straight cut, we sawed a 4mm thick/thin slice from the length of a log, just to see if we could do this, and all this happened on a Sunday afternoon as I just stopped by my friends place, made for some very happy people and friends
    Have fun and take care