Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dust Separator Not Separating

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    I would make a top hat unit out of it and use the Thein style separatoron top of your barrel
    Thein baffle is good option as well. Might have to try that first
    Steve Kinnaird
    Florida's Space Coast
    Have built things from wood for years, will finally have a shop setup by Sept. 2015 !! OK, maybe by February LOL ……

I had a setup similar to this only I used a 55 gal metal trash can and made a lid for it. There sounds like some misunderstanding of what this is supposed to do. Basically you have the DC unit which goes to the Dust Right (which acts as a separator for the larger shavings, etc.) Then it should be piped to the filter, in this case the bag(s). Depending on which HF DC you have. The bag will filter out and or catch the rest of the shavings and dust. Some dust, the hazardous dust, will make it thru the bag as the bag only filters down to 10 or 5 microns. Can't remember which.

I'll post pics of my unit when I get home later today. You can always Google HF DC mods and find a ton of them.

If you don't want to use the bag (filter) you can vent it from the shed to the outside. You'll keep the inside of the shed clean. However your neighbors and or wife may not like that ideal?

What HF DC did you get the small one on the larger one?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
    Tested it from my floor sweep and was very pleased to see that the sawdust, chips and shavings all stayed in the 30 gallon drum and there was no noticeable discharge for any sawdust into the shed. That was pleasing as I didn't want to run a filter bag or final collection bag unless I had to. Figured why install them and reduce performance if the Rockler Dust Right 4" Separator did it's job. WRONG!!!!!!!
    So, where did you expect the dust to go? The separator typically drops out the heavier stuff, but it will certainly allow the finer stuff through - along with the odd somewhat heavier stuff.

Steve, Here is an example of the configuration that I used, then I got rid of the cart and just mounted it to the wall as a stationary unit.

127340-438x.jpg

The HF DC is a very good DC for the money. It will do good up to a 15" planer like the Delta 380. I wouldn't go anything bigger than that. Also since this is located in the shed I would just run the bag that came with it and you'll have less restricted CFMs than if you used a HEPA filter. Here is a link for how others have modded the HF DC.

https://www.google.com/search?q=harbor+freight+dust+collector+mods&biw=17 60&bih=840&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwij w8L1lu_MAhVEK1IKHRm7BLIQ_AUICCgD#imgrc=w1hzSVxC8ho fSM%3A

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bank View Post
    So, where did you expect the dust to go? The separator typically drops out the heavier stuff, but it will certainly allow the finer stuff through - along with the odd somewhat heavier stuff.
    If setup properly, there should be very little dust getting to the collection bag.
    And if you look closely, there are sheds from the planer on the floor. Those should not be getting past the separator.
    Steve Kinnaird
    Florida's Space Coast
    Have built things from wood for years, will finally have a shop setup by Sept. 2015 !! OK, maybe by February LOL ……

Quote Originally Posted by Bud Millis View Post
    Steve, Here is an example of the configuration that I used, then I got rid of the cart and just mounted it to the wall as a stationary unit.

127340-438x.jpg

The HF DC is a very good DC for the money. It will do good up to a 15" planer like the Delta 380. I wouldn't go anything bigger than that. Also since this is located in the shed I would just run the bag that came with it and you'll have less restricted CFMs than if you used a HEPA filter. Here is a link for how others have modded the HF DC.

https://www.google.com/search?q=harbor+freight+dust+collector+mods&biw=17 60&bih=840&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwij w8L1lu_MAhVEK1IKHRm7BLIQ_AUICCgD#imgrc=w1hzSVxC8ho fSM%3A

Yes, I have the same DC.
    It is located in a small 4' x 6' shed behind the workshop.
    So until I get a better separation method, I will be putting the bag and filter in place.
    Steve Kinnaird
    Florida's Space Coast

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
    If setup properly, there should be very little dust getting to the collection bag.
    And if you look closely, there are sheds from the planer on the floor. Those should not be getting past the separator.
    Well… In a perfect world…

How about just venting the exhaust out the side of the shed to a dryer vent?

063467856221lg.jpg

That’s how I’ve plumbed the dust collector on my sandblast cabinet - cabinet -> abrasive reclaimer (same principal as the separator) -> dust collector -> exhaust out the wall.

Steve,

I don't have a dust right or have I seen one, so its hard to say for sure, when I was running the HF DC with the 55 gallon collector and a top like that from Woodcraft (black ABS plastic type) I still got some shavings into the lower bag. It just takes a lot longer to fill it up. With a separator you dump that more often than having to unhook the bag each time. The other thing too is not to let the collector get over full - that will suck it right into the bag/shed. The same principle applies to the cyclone collectors - if you overfill the collector bin it gets sucked into the filter. That's a nightmare to clean. Don't ask how I know!

Either way, with or without a collector your going to have fine dust that needs to go somewhere.

Bud