Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Veritas small plow plane modification - turnaround time?

Veritas small plow plane modification - turnaround time?

Any ideas on how long it's taking to get your small plow plane back after it's been modified (for new beading blades) by Lee Valley?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Hampshire View Post
    Any ideas on how long it's taking to get your small plow plane back after it's been modified (for new beading blades) by Lee Valley?
    Mine took ~4 weeks with standard shipping to/from California.

I'm sure it depends on what's in the queue there and (mostly) on the shipper's transit times. That said, mine took about 2 weeks door to door when I sent it last month. (I'm on the west coast, USA. So twice cross country and, I assume, across the border.)

Most reports I've seen say 2-4 weeks, depending on how far you are from Ottawa. I talked to LV to confirm mine has been received. They said it had arrived a couple days before and was shipping out that day. He said they try to get them done right away and not hold onto them.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I ended up getting another plow plane and dedicating my old one for a tongue cutter setup that requires expansion skate. This way is a bit more expensive, but now I do not need to fiddle when cutting tongues and do not have to pay the $55 upgrade fee. LV should almost make that a discounted retroactive option for owners of the old style plow plane

I sent mine at the beginning of my current project because I knew I wouldn't be needing it. Took about 3 weeks. I haven't bought any beading blades yet but the depth stop works like a charm now.

It took mine about 3 weeks. I would bet I wasn't the only one who took advantage of the free shipping event in April.

I sympathize with your conclusion about the cost of the upgrade. I guess it depends on the needs of the individual to determine if that investment is worthwhile. You are gaining the ability to cut straight beads, but that can be done for virtually no additional cost if you have a bit of scraper blade laying around that can be easily filed into a scratch stock....or you could sell your original LV plow and repurchase the new model. That's probably a wash, cost-wise because your old model, like mine, is now worth quite a bit less. Keep in mind that a new multi-plane is coming also.

Blog Entries
    Mine was 30 days from mail to delivery. Probably 10 days in the mail to and from LV. We measured about a week's difference in turn-around time in planes mailed from the East coast vs. the West coast (n=1) in an older thread. - YMMV
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Took about 3 weeks for me. My 3 year old helped me put it back together and we tested it out together. It made it all the more rewarding.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Kemble View Post
    Took about 3 weeks for me. My 3 year old helped me put it back together and we tested it out together. It made it all the more rewarding.
    Hah, my 5 y/o planed his first bead when mine came back, before I'd even used it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brady View Post
    I sympathize with your conclusion about the cost of the upgrade. I guess it depends on the needs of the individual to determine if that investment is worthwhile. You are gaining the ability to cut straight beads, but that can be done for virtually no additional cost if you have a bit of scraper blade laying around that can be easily filed into a scratch stock
    IMO there are pretty significant differences between the plow and a scratch stock in terms of speed and quality of results. Of course "quality" cuts both ways (pun intended), depending on whether you can avoid tearout with the plane.

Both tools have their uses, but I'd hate to have to make all of my beads using a scratch stock.

Patrick, mine took about 3-weeks; the cutters arrived about a week ahead of the plane.

Randy

3 w for me in california

Okay, sounds like I have at least a couple of weeks. The current project is moving along slower than expected, so the timing should be about right for the next build.