Thread: letters to dark

letters to dark

what would cause a few letters to be to dark. Baltic Birch 2 coats of clear poly. speed 325mmps power was 40% 2 passes.IMG_20160519_143846947 (Copy).jpg
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    what would cause a few letters to be to dark. Baltic Birch 2 coats of clear poly. speed 325mmps power was 40% 2 passes.IMG_20160519_143846947 (Copy).jpg

That's strange. I've seen that with inconsistencies in the wood, but not usually high quality pieces.

Assuming that piece is now scrap: If you go just above the letters and do a 1/4" raster-ed line, does the "black" show up there in the same area too?

If so, i would say it's something with the wood or perhaps somehow the poly coat is thicker in that section.

If not, i would say something with your design or possibly the laser that's giving more power or less speed to that area.
    60W, Boss Laser 1630
    75W, Epilog Legend 24EX
    Jet Left Tilting table saw and Jet 18" Band saw
    Adobe Creative suite and Laserworks 8

Blog Entries
    My thought too Bert. Or perhaps the plywood is warped in a way that is causing that due to a change in Focus? I suspect you have already thought of this last idea but just in case......
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

Raster Line

doesn't seem to be here.raster line (Copy).jpg
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Is that chinese wood or real baltic birch ply? Red hue makes me wonder if it's really baltic birch, as the Chinese use red glue many times. Fake baltic and Chinese wood has inconsistent veneer thickness so you could be possibly going through the wood and hitting the glue causing the change in color or alternatively the redish areas are where you are hitting the glue and the black areas are where you went all the way through the glue.

Trotec Speedy 400 120w, Trotec Speedy 300 80w
    Thunderlaser Mars-130 with EFR 130w tube
    Signature Rotary Engravers (2)
    Epson F6070 Large Format Printer, Geo Knight Air Heat Presses (2)

I'm pretty sure its quality BB heres were I buy it
    http://www.woodworkerssource.com/shop/category/6_plywood.html

its pretty deep raster

The actual piece will be Juniper wood solid no glue this is a test piece I'm running a test piece of Juniper now, hated to use it for a test but what the hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Winter View Post
    Is that chinese wood or real baltic birch ply? Red hue makes me wonder if it's really baltic birch, as the Chinese use red glue many times. Fake baltic and Chinese wood has inconsistent veneer thickness so you could be possibly going through the wood and hitting the glue causing the change in color or alternatively the redish areas are where you are hitting the glue and the black areas are where you went all the way through the glue.
    Last edited by Bert Kemp; 05-19-2016 at 6:54 PM.
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Update

Ok I guess the problem was uneven coats of poly on that first piece
    I did a test on poly coated Juniper, bare juniper and bare baltic birch they all came out fine.
    Now lets pray the real piece comes out fine also there is no more wood if I mess up
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Ok I guess the problem was uneven coats of poly on that first piece
    I did a test on poly coated Juniper, bare juniper and bare baltic birch they all came out fine.
    Now lets pray the real piece comes out fine also there is no more wood if I mess up
    I was thinking the poly was the issue as well after looking at your re-test. Unless there's a possibility the laser was running slower, I would guess that's probably the issue. Let us know how it works out.
    60W, Boss Laser 1630
    75W, Epilog Legend 24EX
    Jet Left Tilting table saw and Jet 18" Band saw
    Adobe Creative suite and Laserworks 8

Blog Entries
    Bert,

I often spray my ply with clear Lacquer to aid in cleanup and avoid any need for transfer paper. Works well, dries really fast and my wood is sealed for any other surface treatment I might want to apply. I use lacquer and shellacs alot in turning along with a few other finishes so I always have some handy. I apply it to entire sheets of ply at one time using a High Volume Low Pressure Sprayer (HVLP....got mine on sale at Rockler) and it does a nice even coat, and quickly does a whole sheet. For whatever that is worth.

Good luck with this next run! Hope you have discovered the problem.
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Winter View Post
    +1
    It looks like more than two letters are affected. From the picture, it looks like lines 1-4 all have a couple of letters that are darker. I've seen this on certain plys, where the glue underneath is not uniform.
    Last edited by Don Corbeil; 05-19-2016 at 9:20 PM.

Don Corbeil

AutoCAD 2000i