Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Part Deux - The Gennou BTS

Thanks Stanley for your very detailed descriptions and advice. This is my first attempt. The next will have a bit more swell to the butt end. The wood, American sycamore, may be too soft in the long run. Time will tell if the head loosens. Haven’t used it much yet. Having put off doing this too long and I used what wood I had. Now knowing how simple it is to do I won’t hesitate to make others. No wedges . Tried your diluted varnish method and like it so far. I usually use diluted boiled linseed oil on handles. Don't know why the photo is rotated.PaulIMG_1197.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Saffold View Post
    Thanks Stanley for your very detailed descriptions and advice. This is my first attempt. The next will have a bit more swell to the butt end. The wood, American sycamore, may be too soft in the long run. Time will tell if the head loosens. Haven’t used it much yet. Having put off doing this too long and I used what wood I had. Now knowing how simple it is to do I won’t hesitate to make others. No wedges . Tried your diluted varnish method and like it so far. I usually use diluted boiled linseed oil on handles. Don't know why the photo is rotated.PaulIMG_1197.jpg
    It looks really good,Paul. Great job!

How heavy is the head?

Some people like more flair at the butt, and others like them more slender. The old boy that first taught me liked them skinny as a tomboy. There is no right or wrong, only what works for you. It will likely take several tries to find the best shape and angle for you, so don't get too fond of a particular handle. Use each handle hard and be critical of the results, improving with each reiteration.

Good luck.

Stan

Hello all,

After chopping a bunch of mortises with my small gennou (240 g), I decided it needed a companion (350 g). Stan, as much as I would have liked a twin for my Hiroki, it was not in the monetary cards this time...at least the handles are both local elm

Now that summer travel is winding down, looking forward to getting back in the shop!

Best,
    Chris
    IMG_1574.jpg
    IMG_1575.jpg
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Charles View Post
    Hello all,

After chopping a bunch of mortises with my small gennou (240 g), I decided it needed a companion (350 g). Stan, as much as I would have liked a twin for my Hiroki, it was not in the monetary cards this time...at least the handles are both local elm

Now that summer travel is winding down, looking forward to getting back in the shop!

Best,
    Chris
    IMG_1574.jpg
    IMG_1575.jpg
    Chris:

Sweet!

Blog Entries
    Very nice!!
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Thanks to you both, as the handles are much more elegant and ergonomic than I would have achieved on my own!
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra