Thread: Delta 13 inch Planer and dust collection

Delta 13 inch Planer and dust collection

My new Delta planer arrived.
    IMG_1581.jpg
    This is a picture of the dust collection pipe. I'm not sure what to use to connect to this. OD is about 2 1/16 and ID is about 1 15/16. So it's not '2 inch pipe'. How to best connect this to the 4 inch intake on my Powermatic dust collector? And while I'm on the topic why is so much dust collection gear concerned with 2 1/2 inch pipe?

Your dust collector will probably not do well with that small a connection, too much static pressure. If you can't enlarge the port, then a shop vac with a Dust Deputy would be a better option, in my opinion.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Chalmers View Post
    Your dust collector will probably not do well with that small a connection, too much static pressure. If you can't enlarge the port, then a shop vac with a Dust Deputy would be a better option, in my opinion.
    +1 on the size of the port, need to enlarge the port somehow. Don't think a shop vac can keep up Randy

Delta used to have a 4" dust collection chute as an after purchase option, I bought it and used it but it was junk. The way it was designed it fit inside the planer's chute creating a choking point. I finally adapted a furnace boot from the HD to fit outside of the planer's chute and dust collection has been excellent since.

Quote Originally Posted by mike mcilroy View Post
    Delta used to have a 4" dust collection chute as an after purchase option, I bought it and used it but it was junk. The way it was designed it fit inside the planer's chute creating a choking point. I finally adapted a furnace boot from the HD to fit outside of the planer's chute and dust collection has been excellent since.
    I agree with your comment and would like to see your furnace boot chute. I need to do something. I have been having issues with the chute planning soft maple.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Mike,
    I have a similar planer and would love to see pictures if you get a chance to put any on.

Scott,
    I just let a 2 1/4" to 4" adapter hang off of it connected to my Jet and it works fine. After a lot of planning I will get some chips shoot out the front of the planer. I stop the machine vacuum everything up and reconnect and then it works fine. I would like to get it expanded to 4" one day but it hasn't happened due to time.

I assume the planer in question is this one:
    Delta planer.jpg

I would try a furnace boot as the closest ready made solution. You may have to modify the boot somewhat, but it should work on this planer.

Here is a furnace boot I modified to fit my Dewalt 733 planer. This boot is a 6" pipe connection, but I believe you can get them for 4" pipe. When installed, the pipe connection sticks straight up which I find better to keep the flex pipe I use out of the way.

Hood-for-Dewalt%20734-12_5-inch-planer.jpg

DSC01687.jpg

Here is the pic of my boot adaptation. Unfortunately you can't really see anything because of the foil tape. Under the tape I've cut the boot and bent some flaps to screw the boot to the planer. The sides have been cut and bent out to cover the width of the planers chute. If I had to do it over I would have grabbed an angled boot just to keep the blast gate and hose above the boot. They don't interfere with the wood travelling on the outfeed bed just with my field of vision on the out feed side.

Quote Originally Posted by Randall J Cox View Post
    +1 on the size of the port, need to enlarge the port somehow. Don't think a shop vac can keep up Randy
    I used to have a Dewalt DW733 and used a Large sears branded shop vac that went through a Lee Valley cyclone lid on a 55 gal drum. Worked very well. On the other hand, anytime I tried to use my 2hp DC through a small port it did not work very well. This is, of course, my experience. Maybe others have a magic bullet that makes the DC work in a set up like this.
    Mike

Well, thanks! I too duct taped my 4 to 2.5 inch adapter to the planer and my powermatic dust collector is getting all of the dust! Not a very slick connection but it works for now.

Scott

Thanks for the pictures. I have the Delta 22-550 IIRC. Looks like the one in your post. I might actually have a 6" takeoff in the garage. I'll have to give it a shot next time I pull out the planer

I did the same sort of adaptation for my Ridgid planer using a 6" HVAC register boot. Collection is great but a word of caution, it is super LOUD!!! All that air moving through such a narrow slot makes one heck of a noise.

Last edited by Terry Hatfield; 05-24-2016 at 11:28 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Terry
    My back saw your floor and screamed at me "Why haven't you finished ours". I have some laid out but I always seem to be standing where they ain't.

Quote Originally Posted by mike mcilroy View Post
    Terry
    My back saw your floor and screamed at me "Why haven't you finished ours". I have some laid out but I always seem to be standing where they ain't.
    Covering the floor with the mats has been great and they've held up pretty well. My old back and knees appreciate them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Hatfield View Post
    I did the same sort of adaptation for my Ridgid planer using a 6" HVAC register boot. Collection is great but a word of caution, it is super LOUD!!! All that air moving through such a narrow slot makes one heck of a noise.

i have that same noise on my jointer connection going from 6" to 4" port. Until I can enlarge it, I have to leave another drop open as well to cut the air flow at the jointer a bit. Sounds like a steam engine whistle otherwise.