Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: George's Telescope - Consolidated Threads

I plan on using these:
    Z-sL6umcpEx_.jpg
    I have used these on some very heavy machinery. They are rock solid and stable. The scope will have to be easily moved so wheels are crucial. I have tried to design everything to minimize unwanted movement and backlash as much as possible without resorting to materials other than wood. Metal has been used wherever absolutely necessary, collimation bolts, focuser shaft, bearings, etc. The whole idea here is to have a properly functioning scope made mostly of wood. But the idea of it being 100% wood must be compromised at times to insure functionality.
    David DeCristoforo

Finished the altitude adjustment mechanism.
    adjuster_1.jpg
    adjuster_2.jpg
    adjuster_3.jpg
    I wanted to have a stainless steel ring for the gimbal but I could not find anything that was “just right”. I ended up cutting down a part from a 2” iron pipe union. It worked out pretty well. The resulting ring was drilled and tapped for two short axels which fit into the two bushings. The bushings will be captured on the mount structure.

gimbal.jpg

The gimbal was fitted between two halves of the adjusting knob. The knob it a bit bigger than I had originally drawn it but I wanted a good sized grip and rather than end up with a big knurled ring, I just beefed up the whole thing.
    knob_1.jpg
    knob_2.jpg
    David DeCristoforo

This is such a neat project. A real labor of love. Can't wait to see it when it's all done!
    Fred

I thought it would be cool to have a nut and washer on the end of the pivot pin but I just didn’t like how it looked. So I swapped out for a matching knob. I think this what is called “sweating the small stuff” and “they” say that is not good. But I figured, like Doc Brown said… “What the hell…”
    knobs.jpg
    David DeCristoforo

Wow these are nice telescopes.You guys are raising the bar but my mind cant think that high! Awesome work guys!!!!!

More forward movement on the telescope mount. For some reason, this has been the most difficult part to complete so far. What amounts to a fairly straight forward piece of (mostly) flatwork ended up being unbelievably fussy. Three steps forward and two steps backwards was the order of the day. It seemed like every piece had to be rethought or modified in some way. Funny thing , this was the most carefully planned of all the parts made to date. I went in thinking this was going to be pretty much a cakewalk. Not! But I got it done nonetheless. Still needs some touching up and I still need to build the pedestal and the mounting platform for the scope. But this represents real progress and it functions well.

mount_3.jpgmount_2.jpgmount_4.jpg

David DeCristoforo

Custom Lathe Bed Extension

For a number of years now, I have been considering building a bed extension for my old Rockwell lathe. But the lack of real need has pushed the project onto the back burner. But now I need to turn the declination shaft for the telescope mount and that needs to be longer than the 37” capacity of my lathe. So the time finally arrived to take the plunge and make the bed extension.

Initially, I wanted to make it out of cast iron. But with all of crap I was getting from the city over needing to bring in a six inch gas main to fuel the forge and freaking out about the pigs of iron swinging around the yard, I was forced to relinquish that idea.

I next thought about steel. Steel would have been good but, after looking at some of the ‘diy’ extensions posted on the internet, I decided that I would go with what i knew best and make it out of wood. Not only easier but also much more “modification friendly”.

I realize that this might be beyond the abilities of the average amateur but if anyone ever wants to build one and is up for the challenge, I would be happy to make my design, stress load calculations and measured drawings available.

IMG_3856.jpg
    David DeCristoforo

Wow, DD!! You went high tech with this project. Good you have gathered all that experience with the telescope as the adherence to close tolerances has come in handy. Space age materials, too. Any patents pending??

Left click my name for homepage link.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Wow, DD!! You went high tech with this project. Good you have gathered all that experience with the telescope as the adherence to close tolerances has come in handy. Space age materials, too. Any patents pending??
    John is ready to launch a another new career as a “Patent Law Consultant”?
    Member Illiana Woodturners

There may be prior art. I knew a guy who built one of those decades ago. He mounted it on a workbench so he could turn a really long pole. It was probably as much work to make a long wooden tool rest.

Foolish as it may seem, I have no inclination to attempt to profit from this design. I have always been an “open source” kind of guy, dedicated to furthering the greater good. As I stated in my original post, I would be happy to make the necessary technical information available to anyone wanting to attempt a project of this magnitude. Besides, I have already been offered suggestions that would improve on my concept, using duct tape in lieu of drywall screws for example, which would not only cut the fabrication time by at least half but would also bring the overall cost down significantly. This is the beauty of the open source concept. Many people contributing their input to improve an already brilliant idea.

The only thing i would change is the color, doesn't match the rest of your lathe.

Just add a good hinge and you have a first rate swing away.
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

2018-01-01 08.57.37.jpg

I made one too but I'm thinking of charging a biiiiig fee for the plans.

Jim

Mission Accomplished

The funky lathe bed extension worked out just fine.

8CF0D922-4E1C-4F26-AB1F-9DFC40B174E4.jpeg
    Last edited by David DeCristoforo; 01-01-2018 at 12:29 PM.
    David DeCristoforo