Thread: Non flammable material

Non flammable material

I'm sure this is an odd idea but I'm wondering if anyone knows of a material that I can fire the laser at but that won't burn. Would need it to be something I could make into a small disk shape or that I could get in that shape.

I was playing with the laser the other day and put a slab of marble on the bed. Just for grins I pulled out my FLIR camera. It was pretty interesting. I could see exactly where the beam was hitting with the thermal imager. Gave me the idea that if I could find a material that would fit the circular opening over the mirrors that I could use it to see the beam alignment.
    Rabbit Laser RL-60-9060. 60 watt.

At the beginning of the video you see what looks like a hot spot in the upper right of the frame. That was from a video I took yesterday with the focal lens on the head. I believe it actually "burnt" the sensor in the camera. At the end of the video you see the trail from the video I took also looks stuck in the frame. I think this may have burned in as well. May be a lesson learned here to not try to view the laser as it's firing but only the heat trail after it fires.

Blog Entries
    And I thought I had a lot of tools and fun toolish toys!

That looks like fun. But a piece of masking tape actually works really well and very quickly for alignment purposes. You should have a button on your control panel labeled "Pulse" that allows you to do a very quick fire of the laser which is perfect for this type of thing and will leave a nice, small dot on the tape. Ray Scott or whoever delivered your machine should have shown you that technique when you got set up?

Having said that, the FLIR would be a fun way to do it. Perhaps a piece of Corian cut to fit the mirror opening? Throw it on a lathe and turn a rim that just fits the opening. Or just a small piece of sheet metal cut to fit in place?

Fun toy!!!! Every home needs a FLIR!
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

Oh I'm very familiar with the tape. Just thought this might be kind of cool. I hadn't though of corian. I could definitely turn that down on a lathe.

Blog Entries
    Anodized aluminum would be a good choice for a non-burning material... but I think you're going to get better resolution for alignment with paper/tape and the eye.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Reese View Post
    Oh I'm very familiar with the tape. Just thought this might be kind of cool. I hadn't though of corian. I could definitely turn that down on a lathe.
    Corian will burn... ask me how I know