Thread: Minimax FS30

Minimax FS30

Hi folks, I'm a long time lurker, first time poster. I recently purchased my first jointer/planner. I looked closely at the Jet, Grizzly, Hammer and Minimax 12" combo machines and decided on the Minimax. A shout out to Erik Loza - he was great to work with when purchasing the machine.

I put a lot of thought into how I would get it off the pallet and onto a mobile base (in my case a Portamate PM3500). I decided to build a single use gantry from wood and a $60 harbor freight chain hoist. The vertical members of the gantry are 2"x6"'s and the joist was a 2x12 . It worked great - took about 15 minutes to move it from the pallet to the mobile base. I'll use the wood to practice on the FS30.

I videoed my whole unboxing - you can take a look here. Hope this help other folks.

]

Tony

Whew!
    Welcome to the forum and enjoy that beautiful machine!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Congrats on your new J/P!! Enjoy!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

You work fast! You're going to love using it.

John

Nice thread.. nice machine.

Clever. Much better than using an engine hoist (like I did). Congratulations on your new machine.

Hah, enjoyed that!

Interesting way to do it. You might want to keep that single use gantry for the future.

I like how you lifted it...may have to file that one away for future use.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Nice machine, Tony, you'll really enjoy using it...........Regards, Rod.
    Last edited by Rod Sheridan; 05-17-2016 at 8:00 AM. Reason: Spelling

You guys are right - I love using it. I installed a Wixey WR550 digital readout today.

Thanks for the video - that was very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by tony j kent View Post
    You guys are right - I love using it. I installed a Wixey WR550 digital readout today.
    I love my FS30. I would love to see how you have the Wixey setup.
    Blood, sweat, and sawdust

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Harper View Post
    I love my FS30. I would love to see how you have the Wixey setup.
    +1, Tony. If you don't mind sharing. The Wixey seems to be a popular mod on the FS30 (at least according to my owners...) but I rarely see pics of it. Be nice to have a thread to refer guys to.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Hi Erik, I also couldn't find any good pictures of how people mounted it so it took me some time to work out where to put it. I think I got it right but if I did it again I would mount it about 0.25" to 1" to the left. In the current position the wixey vertical 'ruler' almost interfears with the wood if I am planning full width stock. Here's a picture of the mounting position. The vertical position doesn't matter too much - around the level of the roller engage lever will work. You only have about an inch to play around with the horizontal position.

wixey.jpg

I am loving the FS30. I didn't think I would like the porkchop guard (based on other peoples comments) but it works fine for me. My bandsaw ($100 on Craigslist) its getting a good workout now resawing thick stock. I've bought many tools used (not knowing for sure how much I would really use some of them) but the jointer / planer is where I made big investment. I need to buy, but holding off on a drum sander. I want to spend less< $2k, preferably much less and have 16/32 capacity. So many horror stories on the interwebs about tracking problems and I couldn't begin to decide which brand/model to look at. I've decided to focus on dust collection for the moment (after reading Bill Plentz)

My project for memorial day is upgrading my 2 stage cyclone shop vac to something better. I found a 220V 2hp Grizzly on CL for $200 (its an old model but never been used). I think I'll buy it and modify it so the motor sits on top of a Thien baffle top hat with a garbage can underneath. I may vent it outside it if its not too loud.
    Last edited by tony j kent; 05-25-2016 at 12:52 AM.