Thread: Bandsaw Tires?

Bandsaw Tires?

I'm trying to find a set of band saw tires for a Delta 28-640 saw that the local high school owns. The prices seem to be all over the place from $35 each to $250 for a pair.

Any advice and a source for a quality set of tires would be appreciated.

TIA

Kieth, I replaced the tires on my Delta 28-350 about three months ago with tires from Sulfur Grove Tool.They were $ 250 but have the rib in the center and are the same thickness as the original and are crowned.They are also easier to install.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ballard View Post
    Kieth, I replaced the tires on my Delta 28-350 about three months ago with tires from Sulfur Grove Tool.They were $ 250 but have the rib in the center and are the same thickness as the original and are crowned.They are also easier to install.
    My old (3) wheeled King Seely also benefited from Sulphur Grove tires. Easy to install, quiet and blade tracks well on them.
    Mac
    Last edited by Mac McQuinn; 05-13-2016 at 2:47 PM.

I have a jet bandsaw, not sure if the tires are a different style or not, but I went with urethane replacements at only $35 when I replaced last year. I was hesitant, and they were a bear to get on, but now they've worked well and seem to be holding up better than the original OEM part.

www.amazon (com) /URETHANE-BAND-TIRES-WIDE-DIAMETER/dp/B000H685B8?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui _detailpage_o00_s00
    60W, Boss Laser 1630
    75W, Epilog Legend 24EX
    Jet Left Tilting table saw and Jet 18" Band saw
    Adobe Creative suite and Laserworks 8

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    I'm trying to find a set of band saw tires for a Delta 28-640 saw that the local high school owns. The prices seem to be all over the place from $35 each to $250 for a pair.

Any advice and a source for a quality set of tires would be appreciated.

TIA
    Keith, does that saw need some kind of special tire? Not vulcanized, surely?

If it's just a typical 14" wheel and you are simply looking for good quality tires, I HIGHLY recommend the "Blue Max" tires available direct from the USA maker, on Ebay. I have now put them on three separate machines, and love them. They are thick, pliable, and fairly resistant to picking up sawdust, at least relative to other urethane tires. The price is excellent, and the owner of the company seems very away of subtle differences in some machines.

FWIW, he appears to also be a machinist, making replacement guides and parts for old delta machines and some others.

Keith,

I may be off base but if I recall correctly the tires are the rim lock variety hence the high cost.

Give Woodworkers Tool works a call and ask for Bob. Its a family owned business and more than reasonable. They can also install the tires and crown them if you want.

Mike

Thanks guys,

I'll make some phone calls to see which tires will work on this saw.

I will echo what Mike Toupin is saying and he is also a member over on OWWM.If you do a search on Youtube he will also show you how to install the tires,its what he does for a living,give him a try.----Carroll

I use the OWWM source for bandsaw tires. They cost approximately a dollar an inch in diameter. If you tell them you are in OWWM then they send a bottle of glue for free. Also remember to sand the underside of the tires before adhering them to the wheel.

I bought some from a store on eBay called Bandsaw Tire Warehouse. I talked with the guy who runs it and was very happy. I needed tires for a 60 year old bandsaw. The guy had exactly what I needed. It was much better than any other source I called.

Good Luck

Blog Entries
    I'm sure you know that urethane tires probably will require boiling to allow them to stretch.
    Actually, I nuked them in the microwave when I put urethane tires on my 14" Jet about 6-7 years ago, and they are still solid.

Blog Entries
    Suffolk machineryhttp://www.suffolkmachinery.com/ would be where I would try.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I didn't have to do that to the ones I got from Sulphur Grove. They have a good video of how to leverage then on with an easy shop made jig.

As mentioned, I think Keith's saw is not a normal wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    I bought some from a store on eBay called Bandsaw Tire Warehouse. I talked with the guy who runs it and was very happy. I needed tires for a 60 year old bandsaw. The guy had exactly what I needed. It was much better than any other source I called.

Good Luck

Yep. That's the guy that makes / sells the "Blue Max" brand I mentioned.

Excellent quality, and he'll do custom sizes & widths for no extra charge.

Would you mind measuring the diameter and width of the actual wheel on this saw? I am looking for tires for an Italian saw that looks very similar and I'm wondering if I can cross reference this saw model.