Thread: Link belt on reeves drive

Link belt on reeves drive

My apologies if this has been covered often, I don't spend a lot of time in the turning forum.

It has (literally) been years since I've used my lathe. I'm sure I will probably need to replace the belt when I start up again. I have a link belt laying around and using that would be infinitely easier than trying to obtain the same v belt that came on the lathe. Will they work on my type of variable speed machine?

Thanks!

The general consensus is that link belts and Reeves drives do not work well together. The side pressure as it changes speeds is very large and it will wear out the belt quickly. The lathe may survive if it has older cast iron pulleys. Aluminum or cast zinc pulleys will wear out quickly and then you could be looking for a new belt and new pulleys.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Burt View Post
    My apologies if this has been covered often, I don't spend a lot of time in the turning forum.

It has (literally) been years since I've used my lathe. I'm sure I will probably need to replace the belt when I start up again. I have a link belt laying around and using that would be infinitely easier than trying to obtain the same v belt that came on the lathe. Will they work on my type of variable speed machine?

Thanks!
    Rather than going by opinions, read the post where turners actually have been using link belts on their reeves drive lathes, I know that link belts will work and outlast regular v-belts 5 to 1 or better.

look at post #6 and #16 and the next post in this thread

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...haul&p=2277835
    Have fun and take care

I've also used link belts for years with no trouble. Some machines with pot metal pulleys for fifteen years. No signs of wear. I think that rumor got started on OWWM. Link belts are the devil over there.

I've had a linked belt on my reeves drive Jet 1442 lathe for 5 or 6 years with no problems, I use it a lot also, after 6 or 7 months I had to take out a link but runs good

Thanks for the updated information. I googled "link belts on Reeves drives" and found about 10:1 hits against link belts. It looks like people with real experience are saying that they are OK.

Steve

I also use a link belt on the reeves drive of my lathe. No problems or apparent wear in the couple of years I've had it on there.

Jon