Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What woodworking can be done at a campout

So, the OP edited his post after y'all answered, OR, nobody bothered to read the edited post? (Not looking for scout stuff)

On one trip with my parents and three of us teenaged siblings, we camped in a national forest (Don't tell anybody) at a spot that had a downed western red cedar. We made a table and benches, a seat for a pit toilet, carved a cooking spoon and a totem pole. We had a 5-foot crosscut, axe, hatchet and pocket knives. (Hammer and nails too.)

It was a very fun trip. Wish it could have lasted longer.

Blog Entries
    nobody bothered to read the edited post?
    Not all of us missed it.

Nor was the OP's second post missed:

I'm looking more for things I can do to occupy the dead periods when the boys are off doing something else.
    jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

My last Scout camp was two weeks ago. It was our area Competition Camp, where the Scouts are on their own and the adults are not allowed to help. I carved 7 spoons, which kept me busy for most of the afternoon. Two years ago at this camp I conscripted a bunch of the other idle leaders and we built a boat out of sticks, string, and plastic sheeting. Three hours from a pile of sticks to paddling on the river.

With a T-auger you can drill holes, which makes it easy to make stools and small tables from planks split from the firewood pile (or scavenged 2X stock). Whittle legs to fit, and pound them in. The auger is also good for making shrink pots. Take a piece of a freshly cut tree branch, bore the center out, finish hollowing with a hook knife, gouge, or your Mora knife until the walls are about 5/16 inch thick. Cut a groove around the inside edge at one end and whittle a bottom to just pop into place. The bottom should be DRY wood. The green wood will shrink around the dry bottom, making a fairly good seal. My mess kit is all wooden stuff I've made, of course.

Darrell

shrinkpot2.JPGIMG_20140426_150625.jpgpaddling.jpg
    Wood Hoarder, Blade Sharpener, and Occasional Tool User

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Davis View Post
    On one trip with my parents and three of us teenaged siblings, we camped in a national forest (Don't tell anybody) at a spot that had a downed western red cedar. We made a table and benches, a seat for a pit toilet, carved a cooking spoon and a totem pole. We had a 5-foot crosscut, axe, hatchet and pocket knives. (Hammer and nails too.)
    A toilet seat, that's a new one.

Sorry for not being clear with what I wanted. I blame two years of working in NATO where writing long, unclear and usually useless guidance is an art form.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I think I'll start with spoons and see where it takes me. I like the totem pole idea (that would tie into scouts nicely), but I don't think my carving skills are there yet. I also didn't think about taking some auger bits, which opens up some options. Would make building the stool Jim suggested pretty easy.