Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bluegrass chisels, and lakeside.

bluegrass chisels, and lakeside.

I recently purchased a boxed set of bluegrass chisels. I got them for a good price, though they do have some problems. one of the set is missing (though it's handle is not). two of the leather hooped handles have chunks of wood missing from apparently being whacked too hard. they appear to have survived either a flood, a leaky roof or some other extended waterlogging event. lots of rust, the box is badly warped, the hinges blown and wood missing. there are bits and pieces of label extant, but more gone than not. someone went after them with a wire wheel (and a grinder) with the predictable unfortunate result. at the moment they are soaking in vinegar. we'll see how they clean up. when they get a little further along I'll post some pics.

they appear to be a fairly high end "fancy" set. at first I thought the handles were rosewood, but after a little exploration I'm thinking they are something more like padauk. the handles are a stylish variation on the usual socket chisel handle, ala stanley 750. they are long bladed bevel edge bench chisels, really nice looking tools. I have been practicing at making chisel handles. convincingly reproducing the damaged ones will be an interesting challenge.

the missing chisel is the 1/2". I went digging and found a similar 1/2" chisel with the label lakeside. slipped the handle on and dropped it in place. it is a dead ringer for the set. I know that both lakeside and bluegrass were "house brands" made by someone other than the retailer. I wonder who made them, and if perhaps belknap hardware (blue grass) and montgomery ward (lakeside) sourced these chisels from the same manufacturer and if any of you can clue me in on who that might have been.

Blog Entries
    They may have gone around a whole circle of the usual manufacturers. Many years ago I had a Lakeside plane. I believe it was made by Stanley. I gave it to someone over 10 years ago.

Your chisels may have been made by whoever won the bid at the time they were on the store shelf.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    I can't speak about who manufactured them, but I do know they were favored 50 years ago. I have two Bluegrass hammers as well as a 3/8" Bluegrass chisel. The chisel has good steel in it and holds an edge. My father favored Bluegrass tools. I think George will be able to give you some background on Bluegrass.

Jim Koepke said: "Many years ago I had a Lakeside plane. I believe it was made by Stanley."
    In another thread on Shop Organizers, I posted some info about the Marsh planes and their lesser grade of planes marketed under the Rockford name. Marsh supplied planes to several large retailers like Montgomery Ward and many of the Rockford line of planes they sold had irons labeled with the Lakeside name. While they appear nearly identical to Stanley planes, many were size-labeled with a designation like R2 or R4. Some had no name on the castings, but just on the irons. I have several of these well-made planes.

Back in the 50's and 60's,Bluegrass was a brand that was supplied by wholesalers to hardware stores. I don't know much about their quality,or who actually made the brand.

My father favored Bluegrass and Winchester, as they were the brands favored by the hardware store in his home town (also Montgomery Wards tools). Sadly, I only have a couple of Winchester and Bluegrass chisels, a #5 Bailey, a thumbhole Disston rip, two Atkins CC saws and a Wards 78 clone (looks like it was made by Sargent) of his handtools.

The Winchester doesn't look like any other brands and of the Bluegrass, one looks like a Stanley 750 socket and the other has a Witherby tang look to it.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Winchester did not make the tools that bore their name. They were just re badged for Winchester to sell.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Winchester did not make the tools that bore their name. They were just re badged for Winchester to sell.
    Any idea who did make the Winchester chisels, George? As a sidenote, they feel cumbersome to me.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Blog Entries
    My one 3/8 Bluegrass chisel feels like a Stanley to me. It holds an edge well. It is a wooden handle chisel.

Tony,I'd have to see a picture to even hazard a guess as to who made the chisel. I'd venture to say that the chisel must be of decent quality for Winchester to put their name on it.

Blog Entries
    George,

Pardon me for butting into this string, but you might like to see these two Bluegrass tools.
    I can't show pictures of Tony's chisel, but here are my Bluegrass chisel and Bluegrass hammer. The hammer was my Fathers.

bluegrass1.JPGBluegrass2(Medium).JPG
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 05-10-2016 at 1:42 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    you might like to see these two Bluegrass tools.
    If they are anything like the music, I am going to have to have me some.

jkt
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    If they are anything like the music, I am going to have to have me some.

jkt
    Jim,
    That went right over my head.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    Jim,
    That went right over my head.
    Have a taste:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08e9k-c91E8

jtk

Blog Entries
    Of course, I should have snapped to it. Especially since I was wondering if the tools were made in Kentucky.

That's the only reason I can figure the name. The tools are good tools, a hammer is a hammer but these hammers feel comfortable to hold. It has a good balance as well.
    One of mine was passed down from my father. I bought the other on line. They have the classic wooded hammer handles I remember . The 16 oz. hammer was considered to be a framing hammer, but later on, a framing hammer was 20 ounces. The 7 ounce hammer was considered to be a trim hammer. I've been calling it an 8 ounce hammer, but it really is a 7 ounce hammer.