Thread: keeping wood flat

keeping wood flat

Whats the best way to keep/straighten out warped wood (MDF and plywood) so it lays flat on the bed.

I keep it flat on racking and have placed some granite chopping boards on it to try to get it or keep it flat. Some of the boards are ok while others are too warped for the bed even with some weights on the edges to try to get it flat.

I cant afford a fancy temp controled environment so any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Graham
    Speedy 300 80W
    CorelDRAW x7

I don't think you'll have much luck. Once most sheet goods warp, they generally stay that way, except maybe for very thin material.

I store my sheet goods vertically (leaning around 10 degrees) keeping the thicker material pressing on top of the thinner.

Depending on the size& thickness of the piece, I will often use a heat gun on the convex side of the wood to ease out the warp.

Don Corbeil

AutoCAD 2000i

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corbeil View Post
    Depending on the size& thickness of the piece, I will often use a heat gun on the convex side of the wood to ease out the warp.
    For plywood (up to 1/4") and hardwood (up to 3/4") I have had good luck spraying the convex side with water first -- just enough to wet the first layer -- before applying heat and then pressure overnight.

Cheers guys, will give them a try later in the week
    Speedy 300 80W
    CorelDRAW x7