Thread: Live edge Mesquite dining table

Live edge Mesquite dining table

Howdy,

Im building a 8ft x 5ft by 2in thick mesquite tabletop. Im at the point where I need to epoxy fill the cracks and blemishes. Ive used primarily system three epoxy, but wanted to get some opinions of what others use. Ive seen kraft kote at about half the cost and wonder if theres really any difference. It will be a structural measure as well as cosmetic.

I use WestSystems for similar applications quite frequently and have had nothing but success with it. System 3 is basically the same stuff but I started with WS years ago and have never seen the need to change. I would be very wary of using Kraft Kote. How much would you save on a single table? Percentage gained by going cheap?

I use a good bit of System Three. I find it dries a phlegmy yellow if applied too thick.

If its not structural, I just use the fast curing stuff from the hardware store, so I don't have to wait a day to work with it. Otherwise I like System Three, but prefer T-88 because it comes in smaller quantities.

Copy that. I just feel that epoxy is epoxy, and therefore am buying a brand over a product. With that being said, ive found that boat guys really know their epoxy. I settled on raka. They have a thin resin that can me mixed with a number of different available hardeners. As far as saving money, its slightly less expensive, however believe it will prove to be a better product.

The boat builders including my father and grand father only use west system. It dries very clear and West has a great number of excellent additives as well. Available at west marine.