Thread: Maple Bowl with baskets of illusion treatment to edge

Maple Bowl with baskets of illusion treatment to edge

Maple 12" across, 3-1/4" high and the rim is 1-3/16" wide.
    I had roughed this out ages ago and had it a cardboard box and figured I'd give it a whirl on the lathe. The maple was pleasant to finish turn, but I hated to just waste away the wood and make another, thin bowl. With that thickness I wanted to do some kind of edge treatment to that massive rim. We had Harvey Meyer do a demo about a year ago and I had bought all the goodies to do a basket of illusion from Harvey. I had been taken with them since I first saw them at the Tennessee Association of Woodturners symposium several years ago when Jim Adkins tossed me one to look at that he had in the instant gallery. I can say this, it was fun, but I still can't imagine doing a really big vessel. This is a project for me where I would go out fiddle with it a bit, then walk away. I kept the bowl on the chuck and found Trent Bosch's carving stand very helpful along with a bright light, my reading glasses and a magnifier head band........I was quite a sight to see, hunched over my bench painting those little squares.

C&C is always welcome
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice Josh. I've been doing some test pieces with beading and coloring to get the hang of it while a few maple & sycamore bowls dry. If my first one comes out 1/2 as nice as yours, I'll be very happy. Again, congrats on your effort.
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

Beautiful piece Josh.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

Really nice Josh. I saw Harvey at this years Tennessee symposium and was really intrigued by the process. I haven't purchased the equipment to do this yet as I was quite intimidated by the sheer magnitude of completing an entire bowl. Your idea of starting out with embellishing just the rim has me ready to try this again. I kept all the information Harvey passed out at the symposium.
    Thanks for sharing your beautiful bowl. Like how you finished the bottom also.

That's really nice, Josh. This is one that is on my bucket list.

6. I am liking that one a lot, Josh.........looks like that basket illusion is gaining in popularity by leaps and bounds! Bravo!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Love it Josh. Every time I see one posted it makes me want to try to do similar. Most that I see are sooooo detailed I just can't force myself to try but doing an edge, well it just might work. Thanks for the inspiration!
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Blog Entries
    Very nice indeed!
    basket weave is on my bucket list. Nice job.

Beautiful work.