Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: White Oak Trestle Desk Journal

This is opinion of course. People are use to seeing aprons on tables or drawers on desks. The tressel design with it's open space looks different. If it is good with chair height it's good.
    Jim

I am suggesting either matching the stretcher ends to the curve of the wedge, or even just straight tapering it and or chamfering it. Don't go by me. If I'm the only one suggesting this, then disregard.

And now that we're on the subject... just in the spirit of debate... I wonder if the center of the stretcher might have been made less monolithic by hollowing out the center. Again, this is not intended to rain on the parade. It's only meant to foster discussion. In the end, (as if anyone's opinion besides yours and your recipient's matter) I still think it's great as is.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 08-09-2016 at 12:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cherry View Post
    Thanks Jim, I appreciate your input. Of course, I can't take credit for the design but I agree it is very clean which is what the wife asked for.

Your comments made made me wonder something: While building the desk, I had multiple neighbors and family members comment about how the desk looked too short in reference to its height. I also felt it looked rather short in length. The funny thing is, when I sat it in position in the house it looked monstrous. It's the classic looks smaller in the store deal. The question is: Do you guys ever experience this while building a project? I mean I literally felt a little anxiety about the height because of the comments several folks made about the height seemingly being too short. When I rolled a chair up to it, it was perfect.
    Mike, what are the dimensions? I assumed it would be normal dining table height ~ 30 inches. As far as length and width go, its difficult to perceive from the photo's alone

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    I am suggesting either matching the stretcher ends to the curve of the wedge, or even just straight tapering it and or chamfering it. Don't go by me. If I'm the only one suggesting this, then disregard.

And now that we're on the subject... just in the spirit of debate... I wonder if the center of the stretcher might have been made less monolithic by hollowing out the center. Again, this is not intended to rain on the parade. It's only meant to foster discussion. In the end, (as if anyone's opinion besides yours and your recipient's matter) I still think it's great as is.
    First off -- very nice work Mike. I do like this table.

Prashun, Just a different point of view, for me, in that this table looks very nicely proportioned, angular and rectangular in basic form. Given that, I think its important that different elements play with each other and complement each other for a well put together design. I wouldn't therefore want to see curved / circular / elliptical features added to this design. I feel those would be clashing with the basic angularity of the design. Because of this the rounded wedge feature is a bit odd, but, they are small and unobtrusive and therefore not an issue. I think borrowing the existing angular features (such as on the feet / legs) an d re-using them for the wedge would be more appropriate, but thats just me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cherry View Post
    Thanks Jim, I appreciate your input. Of course, I can't take credit for the design but I agree it is very clean which is what the wife asked for.

Your comments made made me wonder something: While building the desk, I had multiple neighbors and family members comment about how the desk looked too short in reference to its height. I also felt it looked rather short in length. The funny thing is, when I sat it in position in the house it looked monstrous. It's the classic looks smaller in the store deal. The question is: Do you guys ever experience this while building a project? I mean I literally felt a little anxiety about the height because of the comments several folks made about the height seemingly being too short. When I rolled a chair up to it, it was perfect.
    I build dining tables to 28.5", I actually prefer 27.5" but most do not share this preference. Seating height is typically 18.5" and a 10" differential is comfortable for a wide range of people.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Don't go by me. If I'm the only one suggesting this, then disregard.
    In the spirit of discussion, I would say it is not just you Prashun. I had a similar reaction to the stretcher. I would probably try shortening the ends of the stretcher. In addition to the length, the design of the wedges strikes me as a little bit curvy on a table that has those clean simple lines. For some reason I really like the contrast between Oak and Black Walnut, so I would probably try making simpler wedges, out of a scrap of walnut.

To make sure the comment is in perspective though, if I gave that desk to my wife just as it sits, I am sure she would be very pleased. I would certainly not start hacking it up just because some yokel on the internet thinks the design might be marginally improved.

Thanks for all the comments guys. The desk sits at 29.5" tall. I'm not ready to cut into it at this point, but I'm always ready to learn and hear from more others. I've only got one lifetime and I'm not sure I'll ever have an excuse to build such a table again. I sure hope I do. Given the opportunity, I think I would have rather liked to do wedged tenons. I also would have made the thing out of Cherry or Walnut haha!

Blog Entries
    Mike,

You may want to look into the cogged joint. That is a knock-down joint that has a nice appeal and it fairly simple to make....no long thin mortises in the post. I made the dovetail variety for my trestle coffee table, and better than the dovetail version is just a plain cog.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Thinks Brian, I'll have a look and maybe find a good excuse to use it soon.

Another vote to shorten the ends of the stretcher and give them a good chamfer. You might want to mask them first with some black paper or something to see what length looks best before you cut them too short.

Other then that, great job! Very nice top, I really like it.