Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rust hitting machines, tried everything

Rust hitting machines, tried everything

Hello-

As a long term reader, I'm making my first post with a "help me."

I have six machines in a garage workshop in Tampa Florida. There is no climate control, only a fan, and I only work in it about 10 hours a week.

The problem is that recently, I'm getting a LOT of rust on my metal surfaces, TS, Jointer, BS, .... all of my cast iron.

After not using them for about 4 weeks, there was noticable surface rust. I cleaned, sanded and waxed the surfaces and three days later there was more rust!! I've never had this problem before and I usually use a paste wax every two months. with no rust at all.

So far, after reading this forum (of course) I've tried the following:

1) RO Sanding using 300-600 grit, then using paste wax. Lasted two days before a wipe with a clean cloth looked brown red.
    2) Steel wool with WD 40, followed by paste wax. Lasted about 3 days
    3) Bought Boeshield, Cleaned then spayed and wiped off. Lasted two days.
    4) Same as above, then paste wax. Lasted four days

The rust (except for the first time) is not spots, but a even coating of rust just starting.

I can't AC the garage, and while the summer was extra- evil humid, now it is not.

I would be very interested in any theories and solutions.... Why is the rust monster stalking me?

Thanks. Mark

Maybe you can tie the rusty cast to the time you first started storing an acid in your shop, pool chemicals etc.??? WD-40 (a penetrant, not a lubricant) can actually cause rust over time but not in three days.
    Work safe, have fun, enjoy the sport.
    Remember that a guy never has to come down out of the clouds if he keeps filling the valleys with peaks. Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Stube
    Maybe you can tie the rusty cast to the time you first started storing an acid in your shop, pool chemicals etc.??? WD-40 (a penetrant, not a lubricant) can actually cause rust over time but not in three days.
    Steve-

I'll go and look through the garage and try my poor memory, but I right now I can't think of any changes.

I agree that three days is so totally wacko that I figured that it was just dust. They I cleaned off the areas well, and came back in two days, and it was there!

Thanks

Mark, when I started having rust problems mostly from condesation from my propane heater in the winter Time. I cleaned the surfaces of my machines and then purchased these covers from woodcraft and did not have rust problems after that. I just kept the machines covered until i needed them.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Life Sure Is Great! Enjoy It.

Mark,

Sorry to hear you are having such severe rust problems.

I use a humidifier with excellent results in my garage. It needs to be
    emptied daily but I am amazed how much water it takes out of the air
    (about 1 1/2 gallons per day). That with Bioshield and paste wax solved
    the rust problems here in Western North Carolina for me. Hope this helps.

Lloyd Morris
    Last edited by lloyd morris; 09-19-2005 at 10:52 AM.

Blog Entries

Anti-rust

We make machines from cast iron where I work. When we get in a piece of equipment, we spray on Boeshield T-9 and leave it wet. It protects better and longer than spraying it on and wiping it off. It will tend to dry up and get sticky, but when you want to use your tools, spray the surface again and just wife it off and do the work on your tools. When you get done spray on another wet coating and leave it.

Wood Magazine did some tests a couple of years ago and they found that Boeshield T-9 was the best protector. Wax helped, but not much.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I had a similar problem and determined it was due to the storage of swimming pool chlorine in my shop. Once I removed the chlorine the rusting stopped.

I hope this helps,
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer
    We make machines from cast iron where I work. When we get in a piece of equipment, we spray on Boeshield T-9 and leave it wet. It protects better and longer than spraying it on and wiping it off. It will tend to dry up and get sticky, but when you want to use your tools, spray the surface again and just wife it off and do the work on your tools. When you get done spray on another wet coating and leave it.

Wood Magazine did some tests a couple of years ago and they found that Boeshield T-9 was the best protector. Wax helped, but not much.
    Lee-

I'll try that, I had heard that it gets a little sticky when you leave it on. However, I notice that the spray (my 12 oz can) is very directional. That is, it tends to get a small spot (about 2 inch circle at 18in distance) very wet and not much overspray. It's seems to me that I would use 1/2 the can if I coated the whole surface from the bottle. Do you use a heavy coat or a light coat?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Don Hutton
    I had a similar problem and determined it was due to the storage of swimming pool chlorine in my shop. Once I removed the chlorine the rusting stopped.

I hope this helps,
    Don
    Don-

I had the driveway cleaned with heavy bleach about a month ago, but that was outside the doors, and while it may have started the original rust, it's not that persistant.

Maybe I have to go through all the chemicals in my garage and sort them out.

Thanks

Mark

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gordon
    Lee-

I'll try that, I had heard that it gets a little sticky when you leave it on. However, I notice that the spray (my 12 oz can) is very directional. That is, it tends to get a small spot (about 2 inch circle at 18in distance) very wet and not much overspray. It's seems to me that I would use 1/2 the can if I coated the whole surface from the bottle. Do you use a heavy coat or a light coat?

Thanks
    We make it a failry heavy coat. It stays wet for a few days and gradually dries. To remove it, just spray on some more and wipe it off.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

just wife it off and do the work on your tools. Hey Lee-- I thought this was funny-- couldn't resist!
    Jerry

Maybe just get them cleaned back up again, and use the covers as Ron suggested, or take an old bed sheet and cover them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gordon
    Don-

I had the driveway cleaned with heavy bleach about a month ago, but that was outside the doors, and while it may have started the original rust, it's not that persistant.

Maybe I have to go through all the chemicals in my garage and sort them out.

Thanks

Mark

Mark,
    Especially check for lawn chemicals. I had temporarily stored a half bag of fertilizer once and within a few days I had rust on my nearby drill press column and table. After removing all lawn chemicals from my shop, I have not had a problem, even here in the ulta high humidity of Houston.
    Brad

Mark, you mention using a fan (no AC). Do you, by chance, leave that fan "on" 24x7? If not, try it. Basically, park it along one of the long walls, so that it creates a circular flow throughout the shop. I've had shop areas where there were real high temp and humidity swings and just using that simple method, prevented probably 95% of the rust, which previously would accumulate quickly. Depends on the size of your area, but mine was @17x20 and the fan was on 'round the clock on "Low". It was just one of those cheap box fans (24" or similar) and uses very little electricity. Keep us posted on what you may find works for you! Good luck.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Do you have a cloths dryer or dryer duct running through your garage to the outside vent?
    A break in a cloths dryer duct can add a lot of humidity to a garage real fast. And it will stay humid if the garage is sealed tight. DAMHIKT.
    Just a thought.
    Let us know what corrects the problem.
    GB