Thread: Delta/Milwaukee 12x36 Lathe or something else?

Delta/Milwaukee 12x36 Lathe or something else?

Hi,

This is my first post to this Forum, and hopefully it's in the right place. I'm getting ready to get back to wood turning, and am looking at purchasing a lathe to start again with. I previously had a Jet 1014 which I used for pen turning, and sold a few years back. I plan on doing spindle turning for chairs and tables, as well as turning for table and floor lamps. I'm looking for something around 12x36 or 42, and have narrowed it down to 4 choices at this point:

1) A 1951 Delta/Milwaukee 12x36 in good condition, with a lot of original accessories. It's local, so I could easily pick it up. Owner is asking $1200, which I feel is too much. He's at that price because he's priced out the accessories piecemeal on ebay, but doesn't want to do the work of selling them. I'd offer in the $500-700 range for all. He hasn't turned anything in 20 years, and it's taking up space he'd like back.
    WP_20160429_003.jpg WP_20160429_007.jpg

2) A used 2008 Woodtek 12x40, in very good condition. Other than a banjo and toolrest, just the lath, $895.

3) A new Rikon 70-220 VSR with an extension, around $800

4) A used Jet JWL-1440VS, condition unknown, $800

My concerns with the Rikon is the electronics in the speed controller. I've owned several pieces of machinery that have failed due to electronics no longer working and parts not being available after just a few years. And when the parts are available, they are expensive.

Any input on these three choices, or alternates would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    Last edited by Marc Sitkin; 05-01-2016 at 5:04 PM.

I bought one similar to that, but it also had the metal lathe cross slide. I thought mine was a bargain at $850. The jack shaft will give you plenty of speed control for spindles, but I cannot say that I ever used it for off balanced pieces. I am almost strictly a spindle turner, anything else is little stuff.

The good news, I used it for years, but because of health issues I downsized to a smaller lathe. I sold the one I had for $950 without the cross slide. The cross slides alone sells for around $200 plus on eBay. So basically I got $1100 for a 50 plus year old lathe that was made in I think 1948. Right now I would gladly buy it back for the 1100 without the cross slide. Because I still have the cross slide, I would be back to my favorite lathe.

The Delta is made to do exactly what you are looking to turn. Well maintained it should be running for generations more. Not sure the others would be. He is asking too much though, you are right.

Doug

Thanks for your feedback on the Delta. How do you think it compares with the newer lathes I listed in the original post?

2) A used 2008 Woodtek 12x40, in very good condition. Other than a banjo and tool rest, just the lath, $895.

3) A new Rikon 70-220 VSR with an extension, around $800

4) A used Jet JWL-1440VS, condition unknown, $800

I ask because I really don't know if I'm better off with a newer vintage, and also I may not be able to negotiate a price I'm comfortable with.
    Thanks again for your input.

I picked up the same model Delta with a few accessories for $0 from a widow who was cleaning out her basement-- not a friend, just somebody who found me through a mutual acquaintance. I gave it to my son until he upgrade to a new Jet. Then we sold the Delta for $150.

There are a lot of those old Deltas on the market or rusting away in garages because they were the standard lathe in all the school shops, and then most of the schools stopped teaching Industrial Arts and sold off their equipment. (I used to be an IA instructor). Personally, while the old Delta is probably a fine machine, I think you would be limiting yourself to the capabilities of that era of wood working. Variable speed reversing motors, and sliding headstocks can open up your turning possibilities and you may find yourself getting interested in expanding your project repertoire.

If you really think you're only going to do the spindles you mention, get the Delta, but don't pay more than $500.

As far as the Delta lathe you mention is concerned, anyone can put a $200 "buy it now" price on an item on ebay. That doesn't mean they will ever sell it at that price. So, searching ebay for reasonable prices of items is what I consider a fools errand. Folks are often attached to tools and think that their value is akin to that of gold. With that said, do you need all of the accessories? If not, could you sell them to recoup some of your investment? I would not pay $500 for everything shown but I don't need eveything and my area may be different than yours as far as tool availability goes. Given the $1200 asked, don't be surprised if they turn down a $500 offer because they seem to be quite fond of their lathe.

If you are patient you can get a well maintained Powermatic 90 that is twice that Delta lathe for $800 or less.

I would avoid the Jet 1440 unless Jet has upgraded the reeves drive on it. The Jet 1442 (previous model) along with the Delta 1440 lathes had pot metal pulleys for the reeves drive (I have a Delta 1440 that now has step pulleys instead of the reeves drive and worked on a neighbor's Jet 1442 before I sold it). Even if they are maintained, they tend to be noisy, unreliable, and cause vibration.

I have heard good things about the Rikon but it hasn't been out long, so long term is still a question.

Woodtek====Parts????????? If it comes with a heavy cast iron base like the PM90 and Old Delta lathes for schools, it might be worth considering.
    Last edited by Dick Strauss; 05-02-2016 at 12:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Strauss View Post
    As far as the Delta lathe you mention is concerned, anyone can put a $200 "buy it now" price on an item on ebay. That doesn't mean they will ever sell it at that price. So, searching ebay for reasonable prices of items is what I consider a fools errand. Folks are often attached to tools and think that their value is akin to that of gold. With that said, do you need all of the accessories? If not, could you sell them to recoup some of your investment? I would not pay $500 for everything shown but I don't need eveything and my area may be different than yours as far as tool availability goes. Given the $1200 asked, don't be surprised if they turn down a $500 offer because they seem to be quite fond of their lathe.

I plan on using your points on ebay pricing as part of my price negotiations if I decide I want to make an offer on that lathe. I could resell what I don't need, but I'm not sure what those items are yet, and am in no hurry. They won't spoil if stored carefully, and I'm sure ebay or some other way of selling will be around. Since I am starting turning again from scratch, having sold off all my equipment years ago, there are enough accessories I will be needing to make a $500-700 purchase realistic. But as you say, he might not get to that number for a host of reasons.

Prices In my area seem to be significantly higher than where I last lived (South Florida). There is a lot more availability here in the Northeast. An attractive consideration of the Delta is that it's within a 10 min drive from my house, so transportation costs are $0.
    If you are patient you can get a well maintained Powermatic 90 that is twice that Delta lathe for $800 or less.

Haven't run across a Powermatic 90 over the past 2 years. I have seen a Powermatic 45 for $975. Not convinced I could get a 90 into my workshop because of the weight. The 45 would need power conversion to 110 v, which is an additional expense.As far as patience goes, I'm without any lathe now, and would like to start turning this spring. I'm not sure that I want to wait a lot longer, and should set a deadline of some sort or I'll wait forever. In the meantime, it's great to get the feedback from you and others as to what to look for.

I would avoid the Jet 1440 unless Jet has upgraded the reeves drive on it. The Jet 1442 (previous model) along with the Delta 1440 lathes had pot metal pulleys for the reeves drive (I have a Delta 1440 that now has step pulleys instead of the reeves drive and worked on a neighbor's Jet 1442 before I sold it). Even if they are maintained, they tend to be noisy, unreliable, and cause vibration.

I have heard good things about the Rikon but it hasn't been out long, so long term is still a question.

Woodtek====Parts????????? If it comes with a heavy cast iron base like the PM90 and Old Delta lathes for schools, it might be worth considering.

From the looks of the Woodtek, I believe it's a sheet metal stand. I agree, parts are a question. Looks like a sole source seller as well.
    Many thanks for your response, I appreciate your insights!