Thread: How dry is dry enough?

How dry is dry enough?

Hi All,

I've cooking my first attempt in an oversized kiln with a diy setup. Lots of fans and electric heaters with a fairly good size dehumidifier. I have 9-10 slabs of 8/4, 2"x 9-10" slabs stacked and drying. I'm down to 8-12% on my moisture meters. Is that dry enough?

A second question for you pros, I've done some research on Peavey's and was surprised to see the variety. Do you have a recommendation for a versatile Peavey?

Thanks,

David M.

If you are planning on making indoor furniture; you want the moisture to match what it will get to inside your home. I would think that 8% is good enough, 12% not so good. It is difficult to accurately measure the moisture content of 8/4 material with a meter as the surface dries out sooner than the interior.

If you are using a pin meter, the MC reading will not be representative of the core MC. Like Dennis noted, the outside dries first. Otherwise, 8% is dry enough.

I recommend Logrite for PVs and cant hooks.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Thanks Cody and Dennis,

I have a Wagner digital reader and I think it penetrates deep enough to give me an accurate reading. It seems a lot more sensitive then my standard pin meter.

Cody,

Do you have the longer handle (60") or both the 48 and 60" cant hooks?

Quote Originally Posted by David Mealey View Post
    Cody,

Do you have the longer handle (60") or both the 48 and 60" cant hooks?
    I have only the 48" handle cant hook.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

I like to weigh at least three sample boards from different locations in the stack every day. I use a fish scale and then record the weights on the boards to keep a running record. There is too much work in drying lumber to leave it up to a moisture meter alone. You can get probes that you drill deeper into the lumber and leave them there for the duration. But I still would not trust that alone.

If you are going to do big logs (1k plus). Then I would get the Logrite in the long version.

James

I have both 48" and 60" cant hooks and use them both about the same amount. Logrite makes great tools; you won't go wrong with one.

Standard MC% for lumber to be used indoors is 6% - 8%MC.

Your Wagner meter is only reading 75% of the way to the core of the lumber.

I have both the 60" and the 78" Logrite cant hooks. The 78" one is too big for most logs unless they are over 20 - 24" in diameter. The 60" cant hook is my go-to hook. If I only had one, it would be the 60".

Logrites are the very best that you can buy. You will not regret it.

As mentioned moisture content is based on where it's going to be placed in it's intended use. Though it does take a long time to acclimatize in situ. Our fir flooring after kiln drying and shaping, needs additional drying. Also consider moisture change through the seasons. I would say dryer by a tad would be better, as the core is likely a little more where you want it be.