Thread: Pre made metal drawer sides

Pre made metal drawer sides

Anybody ever use those pre made metal door sides with the built in slide? The ones I saw are about 5" deep, and you add fronts and backs and a bottom to the pre made metal parts. At least that is the way it looks like they are made.

The ones I saw were at a Habitat ReStore. They had a pile of cases of these. There were no end parts there, and I don't know if they usually come with them, but the sides had half the slide built in and they had the other half of the epoxy slides included. A buck a drawer, 10 drawers side sets in a box for $8.

I was thinking of quick and cheap drawers for the shop.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I've used them on some work bench drawers and they worked out pretty well, I believe they were Blum and cost $10+/- per and come with only the sides, you provide the front, back and bottom, I used 1/2" ply, for that price I would be all over a few cases.

Rick, I have used them many times when clients specify them, usually for kitchens. They are robust, carry a fair bit of weight, and usually cost a LOT more than a buck a drawer. They should have an adjustable bracket that attaches the front to the sides. If they are not included, try finding a local supplier of the sides. They should sell the brackets separately. The other alternative is to invent your own way to mount the fronts. Either way, you will have good, cheap shop drawers. Cheers

I think I will pick up a couple boxes today. This sounds good enough to get some on spec.

When I was there last week, I saw no brand name on them, but they looked pretty easy to put together a simple drawer without any more parts.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Well,

I blew it. Again.

There were two pallets of these drawer parts, and somebody bought all of them a couple days after I saw them last week.

Like they say, you snooze..you lose.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Ikea supplies the Blum version so I've used them...and like them. While I wouldn't use them in "furniture", I'd certainly consider them for cabinetry projects where slick function wins over building lots of wooden boxes that are hardly ever seen.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I've used those Metabox slides on several smaller cabinet projects, I love them. Cut the bottom and back to size (indicated in the instructions) screw them together, add the fixing brackets, put on the fronts and you're done. I used prefinished 1/2" ply. Metabox comes in 3 different sizes plus a pencil drawer. Sorry you didn't get them.