Thread: Question About Oneway Vacuum Chuck System Drum Chucks

Question About Oneway Vacuum Chuck System Drum Chucks

A while back I bought the subject system slightly used. These drum chucks are very robust!

The previous owner couldn't find the glue-ring cap for the smallest 3-1/2" chuck (looks like these caps are used to apply new neoprene seals). Oneway sells this part for about $25 to my door but I noticed there is a vendor (Rubber Ducky - ha mean chucky - thanks roger) that sells a set of silicon seals for all three drums for around $50.

1) Is it really necessary to have the cap to replace a new seal?

2) Anyone have experience with the Rubber Ducky seals on these chucks?

Thanks,

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Goetzke; 04-25-2016 at 1:58 PM.

I have used Rubber Ducky seals for my homemade chucks and they are great. I have the Oneway drums as well and I can't see why you would need the cap, but I would call Rubber Ducky to be sure.

3. Hey Mike....yes, it is necessary to have either a neoprene seal or the silicone seal on the metal drum. I have 2 of the rubber chucky, that is spelled Rubber Chucky for my two Holdfast vacuum chuck heads. The silicone seals well, and is very durable. I have had mine for about 3 years or so now, and even though I use the vacuum heads as jam chucks at times, the silicone seals have still held up well, and I got superior vacuum compared to the rubber "O" rings that came with the Holdfast chuck heads.

I don't think you would regret getting the Rubber Chucky seals. Good luck!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I've got the full set of oneway drum chucks. As you said, they really are robust - very heavy. The cap is nice for two reasons; it helps adhere the neoprene ring over the curve at the top of the drum initially, and while you store the drums when not in use, it holds the neoprene down over the curve without smashing it like it would if you stored the drum neoprene side down. I live in a very dry climate in the Colorado foothills and things like the sticky neoprene ring adhesive dries out super fast if not stored properly. The one time I didn't, the ring lost its sticky and came off in places. For $25, I would probably get the ring from Oneway - otherwise turn one out of a stable wood and store the drum neoprene down so the weight of the drum holds it in place. The little drum won't be heavy enough to smash the neoprene too bad over time.

I have not used the rubber ducky seals, but I did cut some neoprene that I bought at Hobby Lobby with great results.
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll