Thread: Drawer slides for 13" high drawers

Drawer slides for 13" high drawers

I am building a shoe cabinet with 13" high drawers. I plan to use full extension soft close, side mount slides. Is there a need to double up the slides given how high the drawers are, 2 pairs per drawer?

Drawers are 10" deep.

No need to add slides (would probably create problems rather than solve any)--but I would install them fairly high, above center--- something close to the height of the handle (to avoid "torqueing" the drawer box on open/close). If it matters, I've done 18" tall drawers with a single set of slides (successfully).

I've built plenty of drawers carrying a lot of weight and using Blum bottom mount slides in that height range without any issues at all. I don't see why good quality side mount would be any different as long as the weight limit is ok and drawer material adequate.

Come to think of it, that's about the same height as a file cabinet drawer--and those are done all the time with single slides. Don't worry. Be happy

That height isn't important. The drawer width might be. Drawer slides have a maximum recommended drawer width. Slides that can handle wide drawers are made.

I'm interested in your design. Do you have a picture of what you're building?

Guys, thanks for the suggestions. I searched a bit more and found the heavy duty file slides, they have some over travel too, so I may get those. (https://www.accuride.com/en-us/products/4034). Otherwise, I will go with the standard slides.

Prashun, I attached several in progress pictures. The top row will have 4 drawers for general items. The bottom will have 2 drawers on each side for shoe storage. I built this entire cabinet around pivoting shoe caddy brackets (http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...=1,43326,51918) due to efficient space usage. That proved to be a big mistake as that type of hardware does not have any kind of adjustment making it impossible to get a nice installation. So after building everything I decided not to compromise and build my own wood drawers. So, I will need to do that next.

The picture below shows the cabinet (sorry for the orientation, it looked normal on my computer). You can see the drawer inserts built with the pivoting brackets in the background. Wood is quarter sawn sapele. All case and drawer joinery are miter joints with dominos. Worked out really well. Dimensions are; 73" wide, 40" high, 12" deep. It will have metal feet.
    IMG_1560.JPG

Here are some other pictures:
    IMG_1561.JPG

IMG_1562.JPG

IMG_1564.JPG