Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New shop is getting closer to done

New shop is getting closer to done

I have kind of held off creating a new post for this, but it is getting close.

We built a new house this past fall, and part of the reason we got the lot we did was to have room for an outbuilding. Part of the outbuilding was designed for my wood working shop. With the rest for storing my Jeeps and working on vehicles.

The total size of the building is 20'x38'. My workshop is 12'x20'. The size of the building was the maximum allowed by the county at the time I designed everything. By less than 10 square feet. Between the time I designed everything and the time we applied for the permit, the township overwrote the section of the building code to allow for more space... So it could have been bigger. Oh well.

I have a 9' garage door on the end opposite the workshop and a double door (8') planned for the side. The workshop has a separate door to the to the outside and a double door (5') to the larger area. And it has a 9' ceiling with storage trusses for misc parts and lumber above. I also have three windows in the workshop area for a bunch of natural light.

This last weekend I got the workshop insulated and sheetrock on the ceiling. I plan on putting some 2x2 sleepers and 1 1/2" foam on the floor, then covering that with red oak flooring that I got from a local lumbermill. From the same mill, I got pine carsiding that I will be using for the walls. I had the electricians run 100 amp service and put in a sub panel, but I did all the rest of the electrical. There are 20 amp outlets every 4 feet in the workshop, along with five in the storage area. I have also one 240v outlet in each area also. I also have a 50 amp outlet for a welder/plasma in the larger vehicle area.

I did not want to run gas out there, so I put in a small 3000/4000/5000 watt heater in the workshop. Now that it is insulated and sealed, it can keep it 65* in there on the 3000 setting.

For lighting, I plan in having six 4' LED lights hanging from the ceiling on two switches. I will probably have some task lighting eventually also.

The first two pics are it being framed up, and the last two are the shop with the insulation and sheetrock installed.

DSCF2710.JPGDSCF2738.JPGDSCF2838.JPGDSCF2839.JPG

2. I think the shop looks great so far. I can't wait till the day I get to build mine. Did you build it or someone else? I am trying to figure out costs.

Looking nice Jay!
    Trotec Speedy 400 120w, Trotec Speedy 300 80w
    Thunderlaser Mars-130 with EFR 130w tube
    Signature Rotary Engravers (2)
    Epson F6070 Large Format Printer, Geo Knight Air Heat Presses (2)

Quote Originally Posted by Jayson Williams View Post
    I think the shop looks great so far. I can't wait till the day I get to build mine. Did you build it or someone else? I am trying to figure out costs.
    I built it myself, with some help from friends lifting walls and setting trusses. I also had them pour the pad when they did the porch for the house. I now have two sides sided and all the soffett installed. Still need to finish the carriage doors and posts, and wrap the beams in cedar.

So far I have about 13k into it. That includes the oak flooring and carsiding. But the general contractor failed to keep the shingles and siding separate from the house bill, and he won't let me know the cost of those items. I am going to have to call the supplier and see if I can get a price on the siding. My fiancée decided we needed to have Hampton Red siding on the house, which is a premium color and only available on the premium siding, and HOA wants the outbuilding to match the house. I kind of agree with that and would have done it anyway.

Hi Jay, congrats on the new stuff! Like the pics too!
    Would you post specs on the heater you mentioned please?

I got the ceiling joints all filled in and painted over the weekend, then I tackled some of the outside projects as long as it was in the upper 40s.

I finished my carriage doors and got them installed. These are based on an idea from the FWW Tools and Shops issue from 2011 or so. I also took an idea from a Craftman door and upsized it.

First I made a frame of 1x4 pine that was 46 1/2 x 94 1/2 with a cross brace about 20" below the top. Then I filled the cavities with 3/4" foam for some insulation. Covered the outside with 1/2" exterior plywood and the inside with 1/4" exterior plywood. Basically creating a torsion box. Because it the frame was smaller than the full sheet, I got out my router with a flush trim bit and trimmed the plywood to the frame. Then I wrapped the outside of everything with some pine to clean up the edges. For the highlights, I got some 1" cedar and glued and nailed the trim pieces to the door.
    At one of the Lee Valley clearance sales they had some stainless steel gate hinges for $2.50 each, so I picked up a bunch knowing I had this project. So I put them on the doors with some lag bolts. I wrapped the opening with some more cedar to trim out the opening. Then I shimmed the doors into position, and attached the hinges to the door trim. After beveling the doors a bit and getting them to the right size, they swing open easier that I figured, based on the fact that I can barely lift them. For now, I have gate latches keeping them closed. Eventually, I will get a regular knob or something, maybe. It will be stained to match the beams in the spring.

Lastly, I got some door jambs routed out for hinges for some interior doors. Should get those hung tonight. Unless it is nice out and I decide to side the porch side. Decisions, decisions...

DSCF2861.JPGDSCF2862.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Marion Smith View Post
    Hi Jay, congrats on the new stuff! Like the pics too!
    Would you post specs on the heater you mentioned please?
    It is a 5000W 240Volt heater with three settings, 3000W, 4000W, and 5000W. I have it hard wired to a box in the ceiling with a 30 AMP breaker. It has a built in thermostat, but you could add an external one if you want. Overnight I have it set to just above off and it will keep this area at least 40*.

I built it myself,...
    Very nice! It's so exciting when it all starts to come together.

I tell people "I built this shop with my bare hands." Then I add, "well, I did use tools." There's an ongoing sense of accomplishment as you hit each milestone. I did everything from the dirt work to the duct work except for surfacing the concrete and operating the crane to set the trusses. Sure takes a long time with a crew of one but the cost savings is amazing. You just can't do everything the same day!

Be sure to post a finished picture with the house and shop together (if possible in the same picture!)

JKJ

9. Looks great Jay! Don't worry about the code change, no shop is big enough anyway. Look forward to seeing more.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Bussiere View Post
    Looks great Jay! Don't worry about the code change, no shop is big enough anyway. Look forward to seeing more.
    I didn't worry about it too much. The only thing is I shrunk the attached garage a bit to get the outbuilding the size it is...

After last weekend spent in Reno for the Open Championship bowling tournament, ( and a little gambling and maybe a little time in the VIP Gold room,) I got back outside on Thursday evening. I was able to get everything set up for siding on the weekend. Siding sure goes on a lot faster when you don't have to stop and put on the J-channel and drip edge and starter strip... I still have the west gable to finish as the ground is still a bit mushy over there.

Sunday I got the sleepers ripped and ready then put down the foam. I used Tapcon screws to attach the sleepers to the concrete and had five holes left when the drill bit went dull enough to get red hot and break. Since it was too late to get to the box store for a new bit, I hauled the flooring into the workshop so it would have another day to acclimate. I finished up the foam tonight. Along with getting the poly down.

DSCF2869sm.jpgDSCF2868sm.jpg

What I am trying to figure out is how in the world I ended up with an extra three square of siding. I used about 7, so that is 30% that I saved. And oh yeah, it was a special order and non-returnable...

DSCF2873sm.jpgDSCF2874sm.jpgDSCF2875sm.jpg

All set for the flooring this weekend.

Hey the colors are great .. nice choices..

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Fisher View Post
    Hey the colors are great .. nice choices..

Inside or outside??? J/K

Thanks, but I can't take credit for the siding, that would be my fiance. She decided since 'we' are putting on the siding we can get the red. And that is a premium color. Oh by the way it only comes in the premium weight. And both cost more. It does look good though.

Now the inside is in honor of Easter...

Well, it was a productive weekend. I got the flooring all installed. I ended up with about 4 pieces of flooring left when I finished. The mill I got the flooring has a deal that if you buy the flooring from them, they will let you use their sander for free. The bad thing is I have to wait until this weekend. At least I hope the previous person gets it returned by today or tomorrow.

We went to go see The Who on Monday night, so I had Tuesday off. I took the opportunity to get the last gable sided. I wanted to get that done before it snowed Wednesday night. The ground was pretty dry, and it would be at least another week before it got that way again.

I also got the drill out and put some 1 1/8" holes in some studs for a small lumber rack. I had some 1" galvanized pipe that I slid into the holes. Once I get to the cardsiding, I will match the holes in that. Then I will have a small area for acclimating lumber.

DSCF2878.JPGDSCF2879.JPGDSCF2880.JPGDSCF2883.JPGDSCF2885.JPG

VERY nice work....with envy,
    Jerry

Missed this thread somehow....until now. Looks great! Wood floor A+ I find it very enjoyable to build and set up shop. Do you use a lot of hand tools?
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last