Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Problem with Stock Feeding on One Side of my Powermatic 208 Planer

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    That was my immediate response but he looked right at me and said "no... Im serious".

I tend to do the same thing with the scotchbrite and wax, get it good and hot/worked into the surface. Never tried Johnsons but I have a bunch of paraffin from our canning days. Will give it a go. Its definitely a lot harder than any of the paste/furniture waxes so it makes sense that it would hold on longer.
    I wonder how he feels about everything coming off of a moulder with the wiper adding lubricant to the beds? Some of the planers it's an option too.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    I wonder how he feels about everything coming off of a moulder with the wiper adding lubricant to the beds? Some of the planers it's an option too.
    No idea. I think most of those are paintable silicones or silicone free so who knows. Obviously they are not an issue. Im sure as a finish rep your opting to eliminate any and all possible contamination and over-reaching is likely viewed as good measure. I do tend to think of it in the shop as I have drill presses that will occasionally drill steel... we occasionally run aluminum on the cnc, and every time we grease we wear rubber gloves.

Your lucky you dont do any finishing :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    Your lucky you dont do any finishing :-)
    That wasn't by accident. For the amount of finishing we require, I can't make the space pay for itself in a realistic schedule.

But, that's not figuring that there's potential for doing other shop's finishing as well.

Potential doesn't pay the bills though.

We use paraffin wax and #0000 steel wool
    I use paraffin for lots of things; I use an old(clothes) iron on my old iron jointer to fill the rust pits with paraffin then buff it with a 1/4 sheet sander. I use it on hand planes (I draw an"8" on the sole), hand saws (just saw into a chunk before and during use). It is also the best screw lube I have used.